• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cracked Base

Started by Scotty-G, October 06, 2007, 09:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty-G

Put some salmon into the smoker today and I noticed that the black plastic base plate cover is
cracked and breaking into several pieces.  :o
I don't understand what could be causing this.  ???

Plan to give Bradley a call and ask them about it.
Any one else have/had this problem?  ???

Scotty-G

LilSmoker

Hi Scotty, this is quite a common issue with the BS's, usually cracks right in line with the centre screw, it's an obvious weakness, i don't know if the screw being too tight, or heat is the cause? or maybe both?

If your smoker is still under warranty Bradley will replace the panel  ;)

Mine cracked when my smoker was just a few weeks old, i was going to ask Bradley to replace the panel, but i read that others had the same issues, i think somebody also had a replacement panel that cracked again?

With this in mind i decided to repair mine, i removed the panel, roughed up the inside of the crack, and sealed it with some sealant adhesive, and it's been fine ever since.

The main thing you need to check, is that no moisture/juice has found its way through the crack and onto the circuit board, as this could cause more problems.
If you do fit a replacement panel, make sure you don't over tighten the screws, as this will again crack for sure  :o

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Wildcat

LS is right on.  Mine has had a single small crack in the center that developed about 2 or 3 weeks after I got it.  I slightly elevate the front of my smoker and have never had a problem.  I think Habs suggested this initially.  He normally recommends 1/4 inch.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Payson

Mine cracked in exactly the same spot. A phone call to Bradley resolved it with a replacement panel in no time and at no charge as it was still under warranty.

MoSmoke

Mine developed a crack a couple of week after I got it also.
This morning as I went to put 14 pounds of pork butts in the smoker the base cracked completely off.
As mentioned above in one of the posts elevating the smoker, somewhat solves the problem.
The real problem is that the front of the smoker is supported by this plastic base and runs the weight carried by the front of the unit through those small screws loading the plastic part to failure.
Bradley could all solve this by attaching two rubber feet like the ones at the rear of the tower to the front of the tower just behind the plactic base.
Bradley could make life a lot easier for them and us by making this simple change.
I'm going to call them Monday and request the plastic replacement part while I'm still under warranty and see if they will include a couple of the rear feet.
It sure would be a lot cheaper than continually replacing the lower panel.
If not it's off to the local hardware store for me.
Well I now have the smoker up on blocks (2 pieces of 2 X 4) cut to fit the base just short of the plastic front. The front lower panel taped on (gotta love duct tape). It seems real stable and the smoke is starting to roll.
I'll re-post after speaking with Bradley on Monday.

MoSmoke

The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

Mr Walleye

I didn't realize the OBS only had the rubber feet at the back of the cabinet. My DBS has rubber feet on all four corners. Of course there is no electrical compo nets or circuit board under the front.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

MoSmoke

Mike,
They must have improved the design for the DBS.
Especially with having all of the controls on the smoke generator.
The original OBS has two rubber pads about 1 1/2 inches in diameter attached to the lower plastic panel.
After I get the replacement panel from Bradley I'm going to put 2 more rubber feet on the bottom of the tower so all of the weight will be carried directly into the metal cabinet.
That plastic part with the temp slider should not be used to carry any load.

MoSmoke
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

Mr Walleye

MoSmoke

As I indicated I don't have the OBS but by the sounds of it your absolutely correct. It would only stand to reason that between the weight, temp changes and various stresses from opening the door, sliding 10 or more lbs around in and out, weather conditions, in addition to the weight of the unit itself would have an effect on it.

Keep everybody posted on this. It could be a very simple solution.

Good read on this problem!  ;)

Mike

Mr Walleye

Just another thought....

If Bradley does send you a couple more rubber feet or if you locate some the same height you could use a couple of washers under them when you mount them to elevate the front of the smoker so any moisture doesn't drain out the front of the smoker as well. This would solve the potential problem of getting moisture in that circuit board from accidental spills. Of course this would depend on how level the surface is where you set your smoker. Lots of OBS owners do elevate the front of their smoker for that reason.

Mike

Wildcat

Yeppers, I am one of them that elevate.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/