2nd Smoke - Baby Backs....

Started by Idlechater, October 28, 2007, 07:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idlechater

Gentlemen:

Just got back from antelope hunting and am planning on doing my second smoke today.  This time I will be doing baby back ribs.  Here is the game plan:

1) Remove membrane.

2) Coat moderately with Master Que rib rub.

3) Cover and refridgerate for 3 hours.

4) Heat DBS to 225.

5) Put ribs in and set cooking temp to 210.

6) Smoke with Pecan or Maple (have not decided) for 4 hours with vent at 1/2 open.

7) Rotate top/bottom at end of smoke and turn all racks 180 degrees.

8) Continue with heat at 210 until done, spraying with apple juice each hour.

I do not plan to boat these ribs, as I would like them to stay on the bone.  Nor do I plan to FTC, as my reading has suggested that this is primarily to get the juices to redistribute.  Seems to me that ribs don't have a lot of redistributing to do as they are not that thick of a piece of meat.  Also, as we will be eating with our fingers and taking the meat directly from the bone, it does not seem that there will be a lot of juice loss on the plate.

I also am just a dry rub kind of guy, so there will be no bbq sauce.  My wife might insult me by putting some Tony Romas on her ribs, but I like mine dry.

I was laying in bed this morning thinking of adding some Whiskey to the apple juice, but think I will hold off on that variation until I have proved this recepie.

They will go in in 4 hours, so if anyone sees a major "no no" here, let me know.

Regards,

Wildcat

Everything looks fine to me.  Be sure to rotate racks top to bottom as well.  If you cannot decide between pecan and maple, do both (alternate pucks).  I prefer either apple or maple on ribs myself.  If I do the total cook of ribs in the BS, I will normally FTC for at least a couple of hours.  They will maintain their temp that way (for planning purposes), but I have also found that wraped up with applejuice spray they will also become more moist and continue to slow cook and somehow wind up a little more tender.  Let us know how it turns out and post some pictures.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

First: good luck with the project.  Sounds like you've thought through everything pretty darn well.  Looking forward to seeing some pictures and reading about the experience. 

My $0.02 on the FTC: this technique is not only for resting the meat (to permit juices to redistribute through larger cuts of meat).  I read one of Oldman's posts when I first started visiting here and he noted that when the meat is insulated as in the FTC so that temp is maintained off of the heat source, "passive cooking" is occurring.  That helps bring the meat to a very tender finish, as the Cat points out.  But IMO, the coolest part of FTC is how it can help with time management.  Smoke cooking has so many variables that completion time can vary by several hours.  FTC permits you to start your project early and allow several hours "grace" in case you require more time; if the meat finishes early, your meal stays hot while you prepare side dishes or wait for serving time.

As for your mop plans, I think you'll be happy whichever approach you choose.  Applejuice compliments ribs very well.  Cider vinegar adds some tang.  Apple-Jack (Daniels) is a favorite of many.  If you're cooking a bunch, maybe you can experiment between racks.

Cheers!
Consiglieri

Ontrack

I have to agree with Consiglieri on the FTC part. I've done ribs 6 or 7 times in the few months I've had the Bradley. The first time, I did not FTC, and they turned out very dry. Every time since, I have spritzed them with apple juice as I was foiling them and they have turned out just right. I can't say that the FTC was the difference, but I have pretty much cooked them the same every time, including the first time. So, I've taken a little advice from the veterans and FTC'd everything since that first time, and I couldn't be happier with my smokes. Waistline, however, is a different story...