FIRST FAILURE

Started by sherlock, October 22, 2007, 07:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote

Hey Sherlock , With out a little failure once in a while..............Victories wouldn't be worth celebrating.

Keep rollin' the smoke ,
                                                                  Coyote

Stickbowcrafter

No big deal, start planning your next smoke and have fun.

-Brian

coyote

By the way Brian , Great looking venison roast(on another post)...Love that High Speed Beef. 8)

Coyote

Carter

I think Habs may have said it, but it's the ingredients of the Rub, not the quantity of Rub that made your mouth burn.  Was it a bought Rub or homemade.  The odds are, there was a lot of very hot chile powder in it.  Say like from a "Habenero" (could also be heavy on Cayenne or De Arbol Powder).  I destroyed a pot of Chile last year because I got a little crazy with Pendery's Dallas Dynamite and De Arbol powder.  All I remember is sweating throught the burn.  My wife and mother in law couldn't even eat it.  And the beauty of eating really hot food is that you get to enjoy the burn twice (once going in and........ ;))

Habanero Smoker

Hi Carter;

Do you have a source for De Arbol powder? I really am looking for Serrano powder but De Arbol powder would work in the recipe I want to use if for.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Carter

Hi Habs,

I got my De Arbol powder at a local specialty stores place here in Toronto, but I've bought blends from Pendery's in the U.S. and had it shipped to me (Chiltomaline is very good if you don't mind a little MSG & Dallas Dynamite is amazing but you've got to be a little careful with it).

They also sell online Chile Powder & Pods of almost any variety you can think of & most other spices too.  I've been tempted to buy some of their funkier powders that I'd never be able to find here, but I haven't yet.

Here's the Link.
http://www.penderys.com/index.html

They're very reputable amongst the competitive circuit for Chili makers.  Actually, Pendery's is one of the oldest spice companies in America and from what I have read, provided Chili Powder to the Mess Chefs while they were settling the Wild West.

Carter

Habanero Smoker

Carter;

Thanks for the information. I consider you fortunate to find De Arbol powder or Serrano powder. My local markets only sell whole dried chile peppers.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Carter

It's probably the usual case of supply and demand.  Toronto is a huge city with fairly large populations of almost any ethnicity you can think of.  Whether from Latin America, the West Indies, India, Pakistan, China, Thailand or any spice loving country, we've got a lot of people around here who enjoy a nice steady burn while they're eating.  So if you're a Foodaholic, and you know where to look, there's a good chance you can find it.

sherlock

Here is what I applied.

1    TBS Garlic Powder
1    TBS Onion Powder
1    TBS Salt
1    TBS Cayenne Pepper
1    TBS Black Pepper
1    TBS White Pepper
1    CUP Brown Sugar
1/2 CUP Paprika

I think the recipe was from Iceman, but it did not say how much to apply.
The recipe makes about two cups and I applied it VERY liberally. I used about 2/3 to 3/4 of it on one slab of spare ribs.

Plus after the first hour and a half and evry 3/4 hour there-after, I spritzed them with a mix of 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 Icemans sauce which had just arrived.

Iceman, if you read this, tell me how much to apply next time.

LOL

Nathan

Carter

1 Tablespoon of Cayenne Pepper!?  Hooo Boy!!!  My apologies, but I'm laughing just thinking about it.  Where's Lil' Smoker when I need him with one of his little action guys.  This one would show a bright red face with smoke coming out of his ears.

It's not your fault obviously, because information may have been lost in translation, but I'll be willing to bet that the Rub you applied would be delicious if you reduced the amount of Cayenne to 1 teaspoon (+ or -) depending on your heat tolerance.

Hot Stuff.  Sorry about your Ribs, but now you're part of a really fun club.  You've joined the "Oops I wrecked my dinner" club.  It's very stressful at the time, but fun to look back on, especially once you've had successes that far and away outweigh the failures.  It's kind of like life that way.  Carpe Carp as Robin Williams would say.  "Seize the Fish".

Carter