• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tired of the Mess!!!

Started by pipedoctor, November 01, 2004, 07:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pipedoctor

Greetings,
  I have been using my smoker for about 4 weeks now. While it works great, it does create a big mess. By this I mean water, from condensation?, running out the bottom of the smoker. I set the damper on top, just open enough so the smoke does not appear at the smoke generator. It seems to make the biggest mess when I smoke Salmon. But still appears when doing ribs or a roast. This does not appear to be drippings missing the lower pan, as I do not let the racks touch the back of the smoker. Any idea about this problem would be greatly appreciated. The color of the water is almost black.I do not notice any moisture until the smoke generating phase is over with.[:)]

nsxbill

I would be you are not opening the top vent enough   try about 1/4 - 1/3 of a hole.  You have to open it up so you don't get the condensation.

Have used mine about 8 or 9 times and never had a problem with anything getting so watery that it runs out the door.  Are you sitting the water bowl on top of the removable tray in the bottom?

When you do your salmon, do you dry it until it forms a pellicle (white shiny coating) post brining?  

Since it appears when doing other items, I still suspect you should open the draft a little further.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

To me, it sounds like you have left the water bowl sit with ash & fat inside for a few days before cleaning it. Ash + Fat = Lye, and will eat pinholes through your bowl.

"Black water" describes what would happen in this case with you filling the bowl & the burnt bisquettes falling into it. If it were a fat issue, it certainly wouldn't seem like water, just gunk.

Just to be on the safe side, your "V-shaped tray" is shaped like a V, not an A...right?

Bill is also correct in that you probably need to open the damper more to allow the moisture to escape. I always have mine 1/4 to 1/2 open depending on the outside temp, and only in extreme cold shut it off completely, but then, only till the temp comes up.

Better it take a couple extra hours to smoke than have mushy product.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

I think Kirk and Bill have it correct.  Hate to sound mundane but "been there done that" type thing.  Your product will not come out any more or less dryer/juicy by leaving the vent open to at least 1/3 to 1/4.  Hope things improve.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

pipedoctor

Greetings,
  Thank You for the responses. It is greatly appreciated.

I do not ever leave the water bowl in the unit. It is always clean, and never full of anything that could contaminate the food. I keep the racks spotless, as is the drip tray, top and bottom.

I think I have it solved. Everyone was right! I was not opening the vent far enough. I tried opening it up 1/4 to 3/8, and the moisture problem did not occure. Apparently it was condensation on the side walls, and was running down to the bottom, and then out the bottom! My last batch of Alaskan Candy was excellent!

Thank You,
Wayne

MallardWacker

Exactly Pipe.  I may be wrong here, but I would leave the bowl in the unit.  If anything does drip, the bowl makes it easier to clean.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...