13 foot gator

Started by Oldman, November 01, 2007, 09:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

After reading about the bears some of you deal with I thought I would tell you all about last week.

Last week I was pickin through the brush dump (people here throw out good expensive plants) when I walked up on a good 13 foot gator. I'm talking about 800 to a serioius 1000 pounds. I got within 3 - 4 feet of him before I saw him.  If I had taken two more step I would have walked on him. Talk about almost wetting your shorts~~! I can still feel the sticky~~!  He was sunning himself... he never moved, but I quickly found a slow moving reverse.

NO chit I dang near peed my pants. I had heard about him being in the lake, but never had I seen him before... ya I've seen many in the 2 - 4 - 6 - 8 and maybe 10 foot range, but nothing like this. Frankly I hope to never run upon him again. He had teeth showing that were longer than my fingers, and bigger around than my thumbs.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Duster

I believe that there protected down there aren't they Old's, That's too bad, I'm thinking smoked gator tail? I'll try anything once ;D anyway it sounds like you were kinda lucky, be careful.

iceman

Yikes!!! I'll stay up here with the bears. At least most of the time they make noise when they're coming at you through the woods. Man Old's that's too dang close for me. I would have ruined a clean pair of shorts for sure.  :o

Habanero Smoker

I recently saw a special, and part of it was on alligators. I was extremely surprised to see how fast they can move on land, for short distances.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

LilSmoker

Definately a case of ..............."see ya later alligator!" 

That's too close for comfort Olds, good job you spotted him in time  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Wildcat

Quote from: Duster on November 01, 2007, 12:41:59 PM
I believe that there protected down there aren't they Old's, That's too bad, I'm thinking smoked gator tail? I'll try anything once ;D anyway it sounds like you were kinda lucky, be careful.

You can hunt them now (limited) and must do a course.  Also you have to catch them before you kill them.  They do not want a wounded gater around.  They do taste gooood but I have never had one smoked.

Sure glad you noticed him almost in time Olds.  :o

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Duster

What catch them first, befor there dead?

Oldman

QuoteI recently saw a special, and part of it was on alligators. I was extremely surprised to see how fast they can move on land, for short distances.
For the first 100 yards they are faster from a standing stop to full run than a quarter mile horse... no CHIT~~! You can't, nor can your dog out run them. Also you should see how fast they can go over a 4 foot fence.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

La Quinta

I read a gator can run up to 35 MPH in a straight line...they don't turn very well for obvious reasons! Glad you (Olds) didn't have to see if that is correct! When the hubby and I lived in Central Florida we'd see them quite often in the "big lakes" over outside Orlando...scary swimming...but we did it anyway...I believe we'd be classified as "dumb chits"!!!

Payson

They're certainly nothing to play with! This guy recently had way too close of a call!
http://www.cdnn.info/news/safety/s070917.html

Oldman

Payson,

Thanks for the link.  I cannot see the  right eye but it looks like a "young" gator around 9 - 10 footer. This is a good example of why I go ballistic when I see folks here on vaction who think it is cool to feed the gators.

Gators are naturally afraid of humans.  That one was not. It lost its fear because of the fools that fed it.

Wildcat

Quote from: Oldman on November 03, 2007, 04:51:06 PM
Payson,

Thanks for the link.  I cannot see the  right eye but it looks like a "young" gator around 9 - 10 footer. This is a good example of why I go ballistic when I see folks here on vaction who think it is cool to feed the gators.

Gators are naturally afraid of humans.  That one was not. It lost its fear because of the fools that fed it.

Exactly.  It is fun to watch gators eating, but please go to a licensed exhibit to see it.  Do not jeapordize the general public by feeding the ones that are in the wild.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Payson

Quote from: Wildcat on November 03, 2007, 05:14:44 PM
Quote from: Oldman on November 03, 2007, 04:51:06 PM
Payson,

Exactly.  It is fun to watch gators eating, but please go to a licensed exhibit to see it.  Do not jeapordize the general public by feeding the ones that are in the wild.
I agree 100%. They're beautiful and magnificent to watch but you certainly shouldn't mess with the natural order of things. Sad thing is the fact that the gator always loses in these encounters. I don't mean to sound callous but I hate that due to human encroachment the gators always get "relocated" which is a euphemism for killed generally speaking.

NePaSmoKer

WOW Olds

Wish i could have been there to rassle him down fer some gator nuggets  ;D

Wish we could have gotten together for some lunch and beers  ;D... Maybe next year, i go there every year to Mariana

nepas

Oldman

nepas

NP... I've been so hammered with this Clearance and regular work that I more that likely could not have broken off...

Maybe next year.
Olds