Suggestion for Forum

Started by BigSmoker, November 02, 2004, 01:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSmoker

Seems like there have been a lot of new folks asking questions here lately.  I think this is great since as most of you know I have an opinion on just about everthing that is discussed here[:D].  It does seem though a lot of the same questions have been asked especially about cleaning/maintenance.  Was just thinking(dangerous, yes) maybe a pinned topic for newcomers or even a FAQ area would be nice.  Happy Smokin'.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

I agree Jeff.  When I first bought my B.S., and typical man, really not into reading the directions through and through, or just missed something because the directions just really that good, I screwed up by smoking through the entire smoke, didn't leave the vent open, didn't know about the door seal, etc.  

I am sure that the group could collectively put together some instructions for the newbie joining us so they could be spared ruined meat.  Focusing on the simple things like number of bisquettes, being patient, peeking at the meat, all come to mind.  

What do you think Chez?

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

i agree also, need to clean up the fourm with a few new sections like a place to post a gen ? not just a stainless steel smoker , and original smoker section , and fix up the meat section, ad one for meat with wings , LOL
PS also a just a recipe section and afterawhile we could come up with our own member cook/smoke book

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">maybe a pinned topic for newcomers or even a FAQ area would be nice. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't know what empowerment Chez has here other than as admin. If he is limited to board Admin only then he is not empowered to access the server.

To create a FAQ section would require much work from many of us. To list it as "Smoken'FAG link would require access to the Bradley's server. From what I can see from the source codes it looks like that person would have to have a full working knowledge of both HTML and CSS. If you would like to see what the source code just for this page looks like then click on VIEW then SOURCE at the top of your browser.  What I'm getting at is I don't know if Bradley would spend the $$$ to have someone do that.

One option to this is Chez should be able to create a new board as Admin.  If in his Admin Control Panel the options are as current as the board I use then he could set up the board  so it could only be <b>read,</b> by the members/ public. However, he or some moderator would be able to add new questions.

In effect doing it this way we have created a board of Smoken' FAQ. Furthermore, it is member controled, and can be readly accessed without having to wait on some IT person.

This is do-able. But it would require much work from all members. Each person would have to take a catagory, go back through all of the postings concerning that item. For example buck-board bacan.  

I myself would have limited time to give to such a project. Between these new mill reps, my regular duties, and re-building my own b-site I just would not have a lot of time to give.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

I agree that the board needs some cleaning & these suggestions are more than welcome. Olds, I appreciate your insight on what I may or may not be able to do, you know more about it than me.

Our trip to Alaska pretty much screwed our summer up & now we're approaching the holidays. Not to mention Buck has to go to Illinois this weekend for his inagural pheasant hunt.

One of the biggest problems I have is deciding which category something should go under, especially after the twists & turns it takes with replying posts. If someone asks about the best recipe & wood to hot smoke salmon, what does it go under? "Hot Smoking", "Fish" or "Flavor Bisquettes"?

I want to address this further, but cannot commit to a timeframe. Meanwhile, suggestions such as these do help, please keep them coming.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">One of the biggest problems I have is deciding which category something should go under, especially after the twists & turns it takes with replying posts. If someone asks about the best recipe & wood to hot smoke salmon, what does it go under? "Hot Smoking", "Fish" or "Flavor Bisquettes"?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Kirk if you are talking about differing catogories then you are talking about a posting board for each one. Or! One long thread of each category in one posting board.

Now as far as storage goes it does not take but a couple of KB for each category/ posting board. So if you set up a main category with sub-categories it will not hurt storage limits--if Bradley has them.

Next I would suggest you talk with Bradley and get them to empower you (if you are not already empowered) to set up moderators. One or two members for each catogory that will keep an eye on the overall boards and when new information i.e. recipe pops up then they add that information to their respective board.  This will help even out the load so you don't have to do it all.

Next, tell me do you have an adminstrator Control Panel? You should. Go look through it. Most of them come with help files. You may find you will not need to contact Bradley at all.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!