Electronics Help

Started by areinert, November 06, 2007, 05:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

areinert

Would folks be able to help me desgin and build the electronics for my smoker.  I have my smoke generator and stainless steel fridge with the condensor removed and ready to go.  What I would like to be able to do is set a timer for how long the smoke should run, and then probes that will know the temp inside and inside the meat.  So idealy, I can set it to smoke at no heat or 100 degree for something like 4 hours, and then stop the smoke and raise the temp to 180 degree untill the meat internal temp is 140 degrees or maybe set it for a certian time.  So as my wife says, I want to hit the stop button and walk away.  I will also need some type of electric heating element for the inside

Is this possible?  If so, can someone help with what to buy, where to buy, and how to put it together.  Thanks!

Aarron

Gizmo

You will be highly interested in the use of a PID.  Here is one of the links on how to build the PID.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315

You can do searchs on this forum as well for many posts on the PID.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

If you have a Bradley generator you can load enough bisquettes for only four hours, then it will not apply any more smoke.

For temperature control devices that give you more options then just a PID, you may want to look at this site. Keep in mind, he will be coming out with newer devices next year that can monitor and control the cabinet temperature, and two cuts of meat. If you give them a call, they will also be happy to explain what products they have or will have that can assist you.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: areinert on November 06, 2007, 05:36:16 PM
Is this possible?

Areinert,

Welcome to the forum. As I like to think: "Anything is possible with great Engineering." However, I am unaware of any commercial solution to your desired degree of control. As Habanero Smoker indicated, the BBQGuru has some features that come close, but does not have provisions for smoke generator control or heating for a timed duration.

It does not appear you can buy the digital smoke generator alone. Otherwise, you could use the smoke time and heating duration features of that unit, combined with the temperature control features of the BBQGuru. Of course, you could buy the digital BS, part it out, then hot wire it up with the BBQGuru. Problem solved.........  8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Habanero Smoker

You should still give Shotgun Fred of BBQ Guru a call. As I stated earlier, he has newer products coming out next year. He is a great guy to talk with, knows all about temperature control devices and barbecuing. If he doesn't have it, or can not manufacture it, he may be able to give you some ideas. He invented the Raptor/Guru after one of our forum members inquired about a temperature control device for the Bradley.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

areinert

Will do.  I would be happy if I can get a few items to do most of the items.  I hope he can help me with some other items like heating element and convection fan.

Thanks

Aarron

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure if he can help you with the heating element and fan issues, but if it's about temperature controllers, he's the man to talk to.

Several members have built their own smoke houses, hopefully they will provide some input. I tried doing a search, but it didn't provide any results.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Artmiester

Since the OBS generator cycles every twenty minutes, why not plug it into a light timer. Like the one you use to turn lights on and off when your on vacation so thieves think your home or at least have enough light so they don't get injured while emptying your house! :D :D ;D
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

areinert

Can someone help me design the overall system and then I can work on the individual parts.  So, ideas for the heating element, do I need a circulation fan, the damper, the smoke control, etc.  I am still kinda unclear what what are the overall parts I need.  Seems this PID things is specific to temperature control.

Thanks everyone

Habanero Smoker

Have you checked out these sites that supply smoke house equipment and accessories.
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=89&osCsid=14176e59d484cb8f2aaff5c5691d0ee0
http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=130

Also a search on the Internet should bring up a lot of sites that go into detail on how to build a smoke house.

I have also thought of building a smoke house myself. I'm sure you will get enough information to get the job complete, then maybe you can post your experiences to help others that may find themselves in a similar situation.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Quote from: areinert on November 11, 2007, 09:09:16 AM
Can someone help me design the overall system and then I can work on the individual parts.  So, ideas for the heating element, do I need a circulation fan, the damper, the smoke control, etc.  I am still kinda unclear what what are the overall parts I need.  Seems this PID things is specific to temperature control.

Thanks everyone
I'm tied up at work on the slope right now but give me a few days and I should be able to clear a few things up for you areinert. I build large smokers using the Bradley generators that might be what your looking for and would be happy to share the info with you.

areinert

Iceman, you still on the slopes?

iceman

Quote from: areinert on November 19, 2007, 07:42:16 PM
Iceman, you still on the slopes?
I'm back and getting a bunch of sauce orders out today. I'll be at the house all week. Drop me a line and we can hook up and talk about your smoker.

areinert

Still looking for anyone who could help me with electronics.  I have my stainless steel frig ready to go, and I purchased the smoke pistol to try.  Can someone help me with heating elements, fan, timers, etc.

PLEASE!!!!

thanks

Arcs_n_Sparks

areinert,

You might want to consider some kits that are available. Here is one link from the Sausage Maker: http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=268

It probably has more parts than you need, but then you can order what you want individually. As I mentioned earlier, you will have some difficulty finding off-the-shelf items that will achieve what you asked for in your original post in terms of ramps and smoke control.

Having the smoke generator, I see you needing the following: heating element, fan, temp controller (PID or thermostat), and a box to mount and wire the components up.

Arcs_n_Sparks