• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

EQUIPMENT SURVEY

Started by sherlock, November 13, 2007, 09:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

I love to make sausages. Had only been making fresh varieties and that was my primary reason for buying my DBS.

Only thing is that now my "Kitchen Aid" mixer with grinding and stuffing attachments is my weak "link". Excuse the pun.

I am thinking about buying a 1 hp #12 grinder or a 1 1/2 hp #22. I am wondering about the stuffing ability of grinders like that.  Will either be ok to stuff my sausage or will I still need a "Stuffer"?

I know that some of you use a separate "sausage Stuffer" to fill your casings. I have seen some of the vertical type that have a crank handle to press out the sausage and also the "Dakota" type that some of you talk about.

What do you folks use?

coyote

Depends on who you ask...I prefer to use an actual stuffer. I have the cabela's model and it works great.
Starting next week , we'll be doing a lot of venison sausage...snack stix-summer sausage-keilbalsa-Bologna
MMMmmmm can't wait! Opening day is Mon. the 19th

Coyote

Habanero Smoker

I don't have a grinder, so I can't give any input on how they are for stuffing. For my current use the KitchenAid grinder works fine. I generally use my Dakotah water stuffer, because it allow me to use both hands to manipulate the sausage (most of the time). Occasionally you need to use one hand to adjust a value to control the speed. There are times I will still use my vertical stuffer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Because of the complexity of my recipes I would never grind and stuff at the same time.  While my reason(s) maybe different I agree with both Coyote and Hab concerning your question.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Tiny Tim

I've got the 1/2 hp grinder and it does all I need it to do on grinding.  Have now purchased the 3# push stuffer from Cabela's that looks like a plumbing elbow with a sausage tube on the end, but have not had a chance to try it yet.

Oldman

Quote that looks like a plumbing elbow with a sausage tube on the end, but have not had a chance to try it yet
I use something like that... My Grandfather had it made in the 1930s or so.

When I use it there are good feelings, as I can remember seeing my Grandparents using it when I was a child.

History -- Family -- Good Memories. I plan on giving it to my Granddaughter.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: sherlock on November 13, 2007, 09:08:02 AM
What do you folks use?

Sherlock,

I have the "baby" Cabela grinder with the washing machine motor attached to it. Works great for me. I then follow with a 5 pound hand crank stuffer I got from the Sausage Maker. For what I do (5 to 15 pounds at a time), works great.

Arcs_n_Sparks

sherlock

Quote from: Oldman on November 13, 2007, 03:03:53 PM
Because of the complexity of my recipes I would never grind and stuff at the same time.  While my reason(s) maybe different I agree with both Coyote and Hab concerning your question.

I do grind my meat with the Kitchen Aid and then mix in the spices. Next, the following day, depending on the recipe, I stuff my casings with the stuffing attachment on the Kitchen Aid.

It is a two person operation, one to feed the stuffer and one to work the sausage at the discharge end. Is it easy for one person to use the vertical canister type stuffers that have a crank to compress the meat? What about the Daykota?

What are the Pro's & Con's of the vertical stuffer and the Daykota?

sherlock

Any other input?

I may buy some equipment this weekend and would appreciate any input you may have.

Thanks

Nathan

manxman

I use this for grinding / mincing and it is very good indeed, I would imagine it is available on the other side of the pond as well?

http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=39

As stated in another thread, I do not use it for stuffing although it does come with the relevant attachments, I use a Tresplade horizontal stuffer.

Manxman

Stickbowcrafter

I hope to purchase and try a sausage stuffer in the near future. Been using my LEM grinder/stuffer for years with good results.

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/lem_200_watt_electric_grinder/electric_grinders

-Brian

Habanero Smoker

Brian;

Are you using a lazy susan under the plate. I thought I was the only one who knew that trick ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

sherlock

Lazy Susan............

Thats a neat idea.

Just bought a 5# vertical hand cranked stuffer. Have not used it yet. Will tell you what I think of it. First impression is that it seems awful small.

nodak

The 1 1/2Hp cabela grinder is kind of big for stuffing works ok for large diameter if you add enough water, but small diameter like snack sticks it just pushes too much too fast and breaks casing.  I need to buy a good crank stuffer and it wont mush the meat as much.   I also fill a lot of chub bags for burger/patties and even find that gets a little mushy with grijnder attatchment plus kind of a pain in clogging up the grinder which causes the mushy affect.

Habanero Smoker

Nodak;

I think I had seen a rheostat that could control the speed of stuffer. It may be less expensive then buying a stuffer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.