• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Another Large Turkey

Started by Sacrifice, November 22, 2007, 07:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sacrifice

Well, did another large turkey in the Bradley for Thanksgiving.  Have done a lot of 20 pounders since my 20 pound turkey post http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2409.msg22551 two Thanksgivings ago, but this time it was a 23.5 pound bird, with almost no room to spare (by the way, I use two racks together to support the bird).  Brined it for 12 hours, and had it in the Bradley for 11.5 hours.  Again, moist and perfect, and it is almost all gone - my guests took 90% of the leftovers  ;D.  Bradley and large birds - works great.....

ThomasMN

I brined, cold-smoked, and deep fried a 20 lb'er today. I also used more than one rack to suppor the bird with. It turned out absolutely fabolous! The pecan didn't really come out much in the meat, but it might have something to do with me being freaked out about the bradley 'recipe' of smoking it at 100F so it went in at 34F and smoked cold for 4 hours.

Sacrifice

Quote from: ThomasMN on November 22, 2007, 07:57:52 PMThe pecan didn't really come out much in the meat, 
Yea, the smoke flavor really does not come out that strong with poultry.  I usually smoke turkey and chicken for 4 - 4.5 hours with anything from apple to hickory to oak, and I always mix in some mesquite, and while we can sense the smoke, it is never that strong.  I am sure the skin limits the meats exposure to the smoke, and I make sure I do not disturb the skin as that seals the moisture in.

Oldman

If you want more smoke flavor in your bird, try scoring the inside of it and then throne it.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!