• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoke Generator

Started by dennbq, November 05, 2004, 04:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennbq

If you are going to cook something for 8 hours, but only want to smoke for 4 hours, does it do any harm to the smoke generator if you leave it on for 4 more hours after the pucks are all gone?  The issue here is whether the puck advance will keep trying to push a puck forward and cause damage or wear and tear.  The only reason I would want to leave the generator on is for the additional heat that the puck heater produces to help out the heating lamp.

bsolomon

Standard operating procedure is to just leave the generator on.  Sure, it will cycle every 20 mintues and try to advance pucks that are not there, but it doesn't hurt it, and actually may be good for it (think of it as an exercise plan for the smoke generator that help keep it from gunking up with sawdust and smoke particles).  The generator burner plate accounts for about 20% of the total heat output on the BS, so it's definitely good to keep that going during the post-smoke cooking phase.

dennbq

Thanks.  That's very helpful to know.  That probably explains why I lost a lot of temperature when I shut down the generator after the smoking phase on my first try of the Bradley.

MallardWacker

I have always left it on with no problem..........

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...