• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New to All

Started by Kurt, November 25, 2007, 05:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt

I am looking to join the smoking world and have been looking at the DBS. I have been on this forum reading some of the different subjects. First, I love smoked pulled pork and know that I will be doing a lot of that. What cut of pork do you smoke and how do you make it "the pulled pork pieces." Also, I was reading Consiglieris posting on how to smoke ribs. The term FTC is mentioned as a magical trick. What does that mean? Again, I am very new to this and very eager to learn all there is to smoking and can't wait to own one. Will probably purchase the DBS4 soon. Live in Iowa though and has gotton very cold already so don't know when I will get to use it. Any help will be very much appriciated.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Kurt,

Welcome to the forum. For pulled pork, most use a pork butt (some will use a picnic). Many receipes around, but the key is low heat over many hours.

FTC means to Follow The Chicks....  :o Actually, FTC is Foil, Towel, Cooler. This is wrapping the meat up in foil, then in a towel, placed in a cooler. This keeps it hot and continues the cooking process until you have finished your adult beverage and are actually ready to eat.

Cold is no problem. Park that baby in the garage and vent it outside; you'll be smokin' in no time......

Arcs_n_Sparks

Consiglieri

Kurt: Welcome!

I knew nothing of this FTC thing before I started reading the posts here.  FTC stands for F(oil) T(owel) C(ooloer).  FTC is a passive cooking technique for resting your meat; it is also a very useful tool for making up the uncertainties in timing the finished smoking project.

I did an experiment and (in a 24 hour rated cooler) kept pork butt hot and ready for the table for over 5 hours.  The FTC technique gives the cook some flexibilty, as well as a better finished product (for anything that isn't supposed to be crisp or have a crust).   By wrapping up meat that has hit your target internal temp in foil, and then in a towel, and then letting it rest in a pre-heated cooler, you are permitting passive cooking to break down the meat like stew meat.  Plus, this technique will permit you to start your smoking project early so that if the meat is done early, you throw it in the cooler and it's still warm for dinner.  FTC gives you a fine finished product and the flexibility to work on a set schedule (provided you start early enough).

As to meat for pulled pork, anything from upper joint of any leg will work quite well.

Post your questions.  All here are eager to help, or to share a joke or lesson.  Hope you pick the Bradley and look forward to reading about your adventures.

Cheers.
Consiglieri

Kurt

I had no idea that you could do that with meat. Wrap it in foil, a towel and then a cooler so I could finish my drink(s). Thanks a ton for the responses. How do you  guys compare the Smokintex smoker to the DBS?

La Quinta

Be careful there Kurt!!! Just kidding! Welcome...you're gonna learn a ton!!!

Gizmo

Hi Kurt,
Welcome,
You will find many from Iowa here on the forum and many that use to be.   ;D

To answer your question on how we compare the Smokin tex to a Bradley...We don't.

I am sure the Smokin tex is a fine product.  Looks like it uses standard wood so you don't have to go far to find something to burn.  The Bradley uses specialized wood pucks so that can be a bit of an inconvenience but they do advance automatically so that part is unattended.  The Bradley allows cold smoking and the Smokin Tex does not appear to offer that ability albeit with some modifications, one can always do what one needs.

I would say the flexability of the Bradley is great and more important, the forum and the knowledge base here can't be beat.

Last, Bradley's customer service is the best you'll find.

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Kurt

Thank you Gizmo. I think I already had my mind made up before I asked that. Just needed a little push. I think I will own the DBS4 within a week. I'm sure you will be seeing more of my questions after I purchase it. I am pleased to know that there are many knowledgeable individuals that read and post to this forum.

Gizmo

There are many here that are quite faithful to every day or near that.  Quite a knowledgeable crowd from the newest members to the oldest ones (....  Not refering to ages here Olds.... ;D).

With the amount of support you get here from all over the world.. at least from as far west as Alaska and Hawaii, to as far East as the Isle of Man, you will probably get your answers quick and that includes quite a bit of user's technical support on the Bradley itself.  Help here isn't limited to smoking either.  In addition to Bradley and smoking questions, you will find postings sausage making, curing, beer making, and even a sympathetic ear and a shoulder to lean on if desired.  You could rename the "forum" to the "family" for the support you'll find here.

It is hard for me to look at other "forum" sites or rely on responses from them.  Was just looking at a site last night on a computer problem and the posts and reply for help were months apart.   

Visit often and be on the lookout for posts from some of your neighbors.
There is also a Recipe Site that Olds hosts and on Tuesday nights, the Recipe site is also a chat room.  Most active is around 6 PM Pacific Time. 

Here is a link
http://www.susanminor.org/
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Hi Kurt;
Welcome to the forum.

Boston butt is generally used for pulled pork, the upper shoulder of the pig. Depending on your location, that same cut can be called butt; shoulder butt; Boston blade among other names. Don't confuse it with the picnic shoulder which is the lower portion, or the shoulder which usually includes both portions.

To pull or shred is easily. You can use two forks, or purchase what they call "Bear Claws" or "Meat Pullers". Shred or pull while the meat is hot to warm. I try to pull my as soon as the meat has cooled down enough to handle comfortably.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 26, 2007, 02:28:52 AM
I try to pull my as soon as the meat has cooled down enough to handle comfortably.

So do I, but after the FTC I always manage to slightly burn my fingers and mouth.  Still have not mastered the patience yet.  :D

Nice write up guys.  Welcome to the forum Kurt.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

begolf25

Quote from: Wildcat on November 26, 2007, 05:18:15 AM

So do I, but after the FTC I always manage to slightly burn my fingers and mouth.  Still have not mastered the patience yet.  :D

Done that plenty of time Wildcat..LOL

Welcome to the forum Kurt, you can't go wrong with a Bradley. Look forward to seeing your results.

Bryan

hillbillysmoker

Welcome to the forum. I know you will fit right in with the friendly folks here.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ontrack

Welcome Kurt-I don't know anything about the smokeintex but I've had several upright water smokers and even had a big "pull with a truck" smoker for a short while (too much trouble) and the Bradley is by far leaps and bounds above what I've had, and I think you would be very happy to be a Bradley owner too!

Kurt

Thank you all for the responses. I will pass along my experiences when I get my smoker. Can't wait.

HCT

Hi Kurt, welcome to the forum.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"