Vacuum packaging smoked cheese

Started by locher, December 08, 2007, 11:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locher

Am about to cold smoke a variety of cheeses and plan on vacuum sealing and giving away as Christmas gifts.  Was just wondering if there are any suggestions as to whether it is better to vacuum seal the cheese right away (the same day as smoking) or let it sit for a few days after smoking before sealing?  If letting it sit, would you recommend leaving it at room temperature or keeping in the fridge to "cure"?

Habanero Smoker

If I'm going to store it for awhile, it is more convenient for me to vacuum seal as soon as it reaches room temperature the same day I smoke it. You can also wrap it in plastic wrap and let it age a few days in the refrigerator prior to vacuum sealing. You will get the same end result. Which ever way, the cheese should be refrigerated when it is not being used.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

I have smoked a lot of cheese over the years and found out that allowing the cheese to sit in the fridge for a couple days before eating makes a much better product. I cannot say that vacuum sealing right away would have any adverse affect on the taste of the cheese as long as it is allowed to set for a couple days before eating. Not that eating it right out of the smoker is bad but the outside of the cheese will be very strong and smokey while the inside will seem underdone. As the cheese sets the smoke is pulled to the inside giving it a much better flavor overall. I have vacuumed packed the cheese but always waited the two days in the fridge before doing so. I know that works very well. Maybe someone else here has tried vacuum packing right away and can express thier feelings on the subject. I would at the very least allow the cheese to cool well in the fridge before packing it away.

Ontrack

Locher-I've only cold smoked 1 batch of cheese, and am getting ready to do another. I vac sealed mine as soon as it came off the smoker and put it in the fridge for a few days before eating it. It was delicious, but the longer you leave it, the better it gets.

Thunder Fish

I also wrap it in plastic wrap and let it age a few days in the refrigerator prior to vacuum sealing...................works well,I guess it could be vacuum packed after it is chilled down again..............keeps for a few months easily