• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

OBS tripping breakers

Started by kam, December 11, 2007, 07:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kam

Help for a newbie. My OBS is tripping the breaker in the garage. This happened after smoking a load of fish and attempting to clean it to get rid of the fish smell. The smoke generator will run fine on its own, but when the tower is plugged into the smoke generator it will blow the breaker. I replaced the heat control circut board,  because I had a crack in the plastic and you could see where the fish oils and cleaners had ran down into the circut board. I can plug the tower into a plug-in by itself and produce heat and it wont trip the breaker, but if plugged into the generator, it will pop at the back of the tower. Also can someone tell me what a PID is? Thank You

Tiny Tim

Well, a PID itself won't fix your problem, but it's a nice little temp controller that allows me to "set it and forget it" with my OBS.

You don't have other things plugged in (lights, space heater, etc.) on the same circuit, do you (possibly making the total draw over 15 or 30 amps)?

Arcs_n_Sparks

Is it a breaker or ground fault interrupter? Breaker suggests excessive load, GFI would indicate a leakage path that has not been cleaned up.

Regarding the Porter Indicating Device, I can't think of a more helpful device pointing me toward my beer.  8)

To the question, a PID is a Proportional, Integral, Derivative control scheme that allows a tighter control over a process variable (in this case, temperature). PID controllers allow a "set and forget" type of approach to controlling the BS. However, I will point out that after some experience, the manual control is quite adequate for most users.

Arcs_n_Sparks

kam

I had thought about that, but have used the same plug-in before with no problems.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: kam on December 11, 2007, 07:52:44 PM
but if plugged into the generator, it will pop at the back of the tower.

kam,

What do you mean by "pop at the back of the tower?" I am confused.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Habanero Smoker

Hi kam;
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry you are having a problem. Can you just clarify something. Have you plugged both the generator and the tower into the outlet at the same time and not trip the circuit breaker?  Or does it just trip when you plug the tower into the generator.

Have you added any other appliances on that circuit breaker that may cause the overload when the tower is plugged in?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kam

I have not tried to plug them both in at the same time on the same recepticle. They both will work independantly, but when the tower is pluged into the smoke generator, it will pop and flash sparks where the cord is pluged into the back of the tower. Thanks ,
                                                                        kam

Smoking Duck

I'm no electrician, but I do think if that is what is occurring, a call to Bradley would be in order.  That just doesn't sound right.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 12, 2007, 05:46:07 AM
I'm no electrician, but I do think if that is what is occurring, a call to Bradley would be in order.  That just doesn't sound right.

I agree.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Sounds like the back receptacle in the tower is shorting out. Call Bradley and see if they can get you a new part or send you a tower.

kam

I called Bradley today, but didnt get to talk to the tech.. Will try again tomorrow. Hope I can fix it soon. Wanting to try some fresh deer. Thank You for all the help and will let you Know how it turns out
                                                                                  kam