• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Another Pulled Pork Question

Started by rstans, December 16, 2007, 11:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rstans

Hi all,
Following the advice and postings of the veterans, the last pork shoulder I did came out great except the wife complained about the vinegar taste (I followed one of the recipes that uses apple cider to marinade).  So this time (this morning), I rubbed the 8 lb. pork shoulder with Iceman's rub, vacuum sealed it and put it in the fridge; I plan on smoking it on Wednesday morning - smoke with hickory and apple for (4) four hours, maintaining a cabinet temp of 210 the entire time until the internal temp gets to around 170.... I'm guessing that will take a total of 10 hours and then FTC for an additional 2 hours.  Plan to put a pack of sliced bacon on the top shelf above the shoulder and spray the shoulder with apple juice every 1 1/2 hours.
Any thoughts or advice for a newbie.... I'm vacillating because there is a mound of information out there, some of it conflicting.   ???
Again, thank you in advance for your help.
Stans

Smoking Duck

Welcome, rstans.

I'm not as knowledgeable as most on here, but I would consdier just doing apple juice when you FTC if your wife was complaining about the vinegar taste.

Also, if you're wanting pulled pork, you're going to do one of two things: either take the internal temp up to 190 or if you're going to pull it at 175, make sure that the meat has been above the 168* plateau for quite a while.  Otherwise, you're going to slice the pork rather than pull it.  Low and slow is definitely the way to go.  If need be, put the pork on earlier than you originally thought.  Each time I've done pulled pork, it has taken longer than I anticipated.  Of course, I'm dealing with ambient temps in the 20-30* and snow right now, so your outside conditions may be different.  It will definitely be worth the wait.

I wouldn't think the bacon would be necessary (OMG, did I really just say that ???) unless the fat has been trimmed off of the pork.  I would definitely put the pork with the fat side up if it hasn't been trimmed.  I also don't personally spritz during the smoke as I don't have the fat trimmed off of my pork and opening all the time will slow down the time considerably.

Hopefully, someone a lot better than me will come by soon.

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Wildcat

I basically agree with Smoking Duck.  Spritz with apple juice if you want during the smoke.  You will not have a vinegar taste as before.  Iceman's rub is perfect for this.  You should plan on 12 to 20 hours of smoke/cook time.  It all varies.  If you have a fat cap save your bacon for other projects.  Will not be needed on this.  If you keep the Box temp somewhere between 190 and 210 you do not always need to go to 190 meat temp.  I do, but not always needed.  I always FTC, but on butts where you keep the temp below 210 the whole time, it is not required.  You can simply wrap in foil and let rest on the counter until cool enough to pull.  Should give heavy spritz of apple juice when you foil.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

car54

Smoking Duck.

Your suggestions are A OK

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 16, 2007, 11:41:11 AM
Welcome, rstans.

I'm not as knowledgeable as most on here, but I would consdier just doing apple juice when you FTC if your wife was complaining about the vinegar taste.

Also, if you're wanting pulled pork, you're going to do one of two things: either take the internal temp up to 190 or if you're going to pull it at 175, make sure that the meat has been above the 168* plateau for quite a while.  Otherwise, you're going to slice the pork rather than pull it.  Low and slow is definitely the way to go.  If need be, put the pork on earlier than you originally thought.  Each time I've done pulled pork, it has taken longer than I anticipated.  Of course, I'm dealing with ambient temps in the 20-30* and snow right now, so your outside conditions may be different.  It will definitely be worth the wait.

I wouldn't think the bacon would be necessary (OMG, did I really just say that ???) unless the fat has been trimmed off of the pork.  I would definitely put the pork with the fat side up if it hasn't been trimmed.  I also don't personally spritz during the smoke as I don't have the fat trimmed off of my pork and opening all the time will slow down the time considerably.

Hopefully, someone a lot better than me will come by soon.

Marc

My experience has been if you are smoking at 200°F - 210°F (or less) when you hit 175°F internal temperature the meat is pullable - very easily pullable. If you want to slice it then only take it to an internal temperature of 165°F. The temperature the collagen in the connective tissue starts to break down into gelatin is around 160°F. By the time you get to 175°F you have a butt that does not need to be FTC. The temperature you see a plateau may differ, depending on how much connective tissue is in the meat and the temperature you smoke at. I often see a plateau at around 162°F - 165°F. The total amount of time to cook a butt to 175°F using a cabinet temperature of 210°F or less would probably equal the time it takes some to bring a butt up to 190° using a temperature of 225°
F - 250°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rstans

Cool, thanks for the quick response guys! 
So if I keep the cabinet temp at 225 using the PID - I would be closer to my drop dead time of 6 pm?  I think I will get up around 5 am and get things started just in case.
I appreciate the info
Stans

rstans

Finished the pulled pork yesterday.... not the best yet, but it was edible.  Like someone said, pork is very forgiving. 
4 am = Pork shoulder in smoker with boiling water in the bowl; 3 apple pucks followed by 6 hickory pucks followed by 3 apple pucks.  Set the PID for 210.
8 am = Turned off puck burner - added water to bowl
9 am = Temp steady at 210
11 am = Temp probe in meat, 165 internal temp
12 pm = Internal temp 177
1 pm = Internal temp 191 (I should have taken the meat out at this point and FTC.... but I didn't) :'(
2 pm = Internal temp 189
3 pm = Internal temp 193
4 pm = Internal temp 203; took it out and FTC
6 pm = Pulled pork, a little dry around the edges.
Lesson learned - take out at 190 internal temp and FTC.
Stans

iceman

Quote from: rstans on December 20, 2007, 09:58:58 AM
Lesson learned - take out at 190 internal temp and FTC.
Stans

Yeppers: 185 - 190 F max will do it.  ;)

NESmoker

I can't speak to experience with the OBS but with the offset or the bullet, when I do pulled pork, I use just a rub. I don't find a need to SOP at all. I do with ribs but not with a picnic.

I have always brought the IT up to 190 before FTC and at 225F in the smoker I usually smoke for 12 hours.

Again, this is in an offset but it has always worked out great for me,
Can I borrow your towel?
                 My car just hit a water buffalo. - Fletch