• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Good Holiday Brews

Started by Malc, December 21, 2007, 05:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

I love this time of year for the spiced, hearty brews that come out.  A few that I have enjoyed so far in no particular order...any others?
Harpoon Winter Warmer
Pyramid Snow Cap
Breckenridge Holiday
Great Lakes Christmas Ale
Blue Moon's Full Moon
Celebrator (I think by Victory)
Bell's Winter
Sam Addams Holiday Porter
Sam Addams Old Fezziwig
Sam Addams Winter
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Payson

Sierra Nevada Celebration ale is a good one. Delerium Noel is also a particular Belgian favorite. The epitome of a Christmas beer is the potent Samichlaus, brewed only one day out of the year, December 6th I believe. It's formerly the worlds strongest beer. Surpassed recently by Sam Adams Utopia's as well as Dogfish Heads World Wide Stout, which is also a great seasonal beer. As far as Celebrator is concerned, are you referring to Paulaner's Celebrator Dopplebock? Excellent beer if so. Kulmbacher Eisbock would also be pretty high on my list. Mmmm, getting thirsty just thinking about all of these.

MWS

Mmmmm Beer....

Yesterday I picked up a 'Party Pig' of Old Yale's Sasquatch Stout. I also brewed a batch of smoked Christmas Porter back in November which is in it's prime now. I added a shot of espresso coffee to 6 - 22 oz bottles which added a nice touch. We don't have a large selection of good seasonals in my neck of the woods, so I plan on a trip to Washington in early January to try some from my favourite brewpub, the Boundary Bay Brewery and Bistro.

Merry Christmas everyone and a Hoppy New Year.....
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Payson

Hoppy New Year indeed! Damn hop shortage has me scared. Just ordered a pound of Cascades. All told I've probably got 15 pounds of assorted varieties. Can never be too careful!!   

Good recipe utilizing smoked beer:

Bamberg onion
Ingredients for 4 servings:
4 big onions,
250 g pork,
100 g cooked smoked pork,
4 slices smoked bacon,
¼ litre Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer,
salt, pepper, mace, marjoram,
3 eggs,
2 bread rolls,
chopped parsley
2 tablespoons brown meat stock.

Preparation:
Peel the onions, cut approx. 1 cm off of the root end. Scoop out the onion until the sides are approx. 1 cm thick. Put pork and smoked pork with the insides of the onion through meat grinder. Mix the results with the eggs, bread rolls, spices and the parsley. Fill the 4 onions and let them roast in a casserole with some water and without lid for about 45 minutes at 200° C. Fry the smoked bacon and put it on each onion; put the cut-off onion end on top of the bacon. When done, remove onions from casserole. Pour the drippings from the casserole into a skillet; add brown meat stock, flour, spices and the Schlenkerla Smokebeer; heat and stir until the gravy becomes thick. Bamberg Stuffed Onions are served with mashed potatoes or boiled potatoes.

Consiglieri

Malc:  See if you can find some of Anchor Brewery's Christmas Ale.  They've been producing a spiced ale for 33 years now, each time varying the recipe a bit. 

Here's a link to their description:  http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/christmasale.htm

!
Consiglieri

Malc

Quote from: Payson on December 21, 2007, 06:10:10 AM
Sierra Nevada Celebration ale is a good one. Delerium Noel is also a particular Belgian favorite. The epitome of a Christmas beer is the potent Samichlaus, brewed only one day out of the year, December 6th I believe. It's formerly the worlds strongest beer. Surpassed recently by Sam Adams Utopia's as well as Dogfish Heads World Wide Stout, which is also a great seasonal beer. As far as Celebrator is concerned, are you referring to Paulaner's Celebrator Dopplebock? Excellent beer if so. Kulmbacher Eisbock would also be pretty high on my list. Mmmm, getting thirsty just thinking about all of these.
It could be Paulaner...I couldn't really remember that one.  I should have added the Sierra Nevada to the list, it is a good one.  The guy who runs the local homebrew shop got to try some Utopia while in Colorado for the World Beer something or other.  He said it was amazing.
Quote from: Consiglieri on December 21, 2007, 09:22:06 AM
Malc:  See if you can find some of Anchor Brewery's Christmas Ale.  They've been producing a spiced ale for 33 years now, each time varying the recipe a bit. 

Here's a link to their description:  http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/christmasale.htm

!
I have seen that at the local bottle shop.  Sounds like that is on the weekend list.
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

huhwhatliar

They say home is where family is not......