• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

INJECTION

Started by sherlock, December 21, 2007, 07:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

Do many of you inject your food?

What do you use injection on?

What would you suggest injecting into a turkey breast or a ham before smoking them.

I already know I will be given a "Spit Jack" injector for christmas. It seems pretty neat. You can control the amount of fluid you inject by setting a dial on the thing. I think you can inject 1 to 5 ML per squeeze of the trigger.

Do any of you have one like that?

Malc

Into turkey I go with an even mix of Garlic oil and Sam Addams Cranberry Lambic(or other fruity flavored beer) laced with a bit of cayenne, maybe some black pepper.
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Lefty_Smoker

I was at a buddies place for a cookout a few weeks ago where he deep fried two turkeys.  One was injected with a homemade creole butter mixture and one was injected with a store-bought Cajun Injection brand marinade.  Both birds were awesome and full of flavor.  Next time I deep fry a bird I'll be sure to use an injection too.

I'm sure you'll be able to turn up numerous cajun/creole injection recipes on the net if that is something that interests you.

good luck!

winemakers

I've got a stainless syringe type thingie that is creepy to look at but hell on wheels for injecting anything that used to move............Speeds up loin curing time, aids in getting flavor to the heart of the matter in turkey/chickens etc......I us it often, and as it is stainless, it's into the dishmachine with it all,  although I do hand wash with hot soapy stuff the injection needle.

The almighty Cabelas has a sale on these creatures several times a year and you can steel one for about 20 bucks.  Well worth having but I am a self confessed gadget freak.

mld

Buck36

I just recently started using injections for pork butt. It is a big difference for the long cook time. I use a mixture of water, salt, sugar, and rub spice.

La Quinta

I'm with Malc on the garlic oil and anything else you may want to flavor it with...doesn't garlic go with everything?? I have a chicken in the fridge right now injected with garlic oil and rubbed with Iceman's rub....going into the smoker tomorrow morning!!! I too, prefer the stainless steel injector.

chevyman

I dont think that i would ever smoke a turkey without some sort of injection. There are sooo many types of injections that are out there that you can buy....Eastman, Cabellas and so on. But just as theese guys are saying....pretty much anything you can dream up and on any cut of meat will add good flavor. The fun part is trying all that good stuff and finding the one you love. As for the injector that you have it sounds pretty high tech. Mine is just a normal ol' injector but it works good.
When in doubt........give it more COWBELL!!!!

sherlock

Here is the Spit Jack injector.

I know its here but have not been able to put my hands on it yet.

http://www.spitjack.com/page/SJ/PROD/HOG/MAGNUM