• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Got the book "Charcuterie" for XMas

Started by rbentle2, December 29, 2007, 05:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbentle2

What an awesome book. I think it's the first cookbook I've read cover to cover. It's written very well and offers lots of great tips. I've had Kutas' book for years and have made many things from it, but asked for Charcuterie for Xmas after reading about it in the forums here. Today I made the shrimp/salmon terrine, turned out awesome. If I can find some local place to buy ducks, I'm going to make my own duck fat, confit the legs and turn the breasts into proscutti. Hopefully in time for my snowmobile trip near the end of Jan. Both would go great for the mixed game grill I"m cooking up one night.

Turns out, I live about 45mins away from Brian Polcyn's restaurant. He holds cooking classes there on the weekends. I'm going to have to sign up for one in the near future, plus save up some scratch to have dinner there also. I wonder if he needs an apprentice.  ;D

Bob

Arcs_n_Sparks

rbentle2,

We need pics when you do the deed......

My cousin lives in Milford, and was just there a few months ago. Where are you?

Arcs_n_Sparks

rbentle2

I'm down in Southgate, just south of Detroit. How did your cousin like the meal there? Was it worth the money? I just about drooled on my keyboard when I read their current menu. I may have to try the addition of sausage to Chicken Paprikas the next time I make it.
Bob

Arcs_n_Sparks

rbentle2,

Sorry, I was typing too fast. I meant that I had visited my cousin in Milford a few months ago. Next time I am back to Michigan, I plan on going over to the restraurant. Interestingly, I have another cousin in Livonia that is near Schoolcraft, where he teaches.

Arcs_n_Sparks

rbentle2

Ah, so how did you like it?

I was once enrolled at Schoolcraft, and was on the waiting list to get in the culinary program. Never did get into the program, having to work during the day and all. I wish they'd offer evening courses.
Bob

ThomasMN

Quote from: rbentle2 on December 29, 2007, 05:44:35 PM
What an awesome book. I think it's the first cookbook I've read cover to cover. It's written very well and offers lots of great tips. I've had Kutas' book for years and have made many things from it, but asked for Charcuterie for Xmas after reading about it in the forums here. Today I made the shrimp/salmon terrine, turned out awesome. If I can find some local place to buy ducks, I'm going to make my own duck fat, confit the legs and turn the breasts into proscutti. Hopefully in time for my snowmobile trip near the end of Jan. Both would go great for the mixed game grill I"m cooking up one night.

The book is great! I made the duck proscuitto but I wasn't too impressed with it. Now, some of the dry cured products in that book are awesome. I just had a few slices of pork loin made from the bresaola recipe in the book along with some chorizo.

rbentle2

Quote from: ThomasMN on December 29, 2007, 09:31:22 PM
The book is great! I made the duck proscuitto but I wasn't too impressed with it. Now, some of the dry cured products in that book are awesome. I just had a few slices of pork loin made from the bresaola recipe in the book along with some chorizo.

Dry cured sausages are in the near future. I've got a few more items to get before I attempt it. What didn't you like about the duck proscuitto?
Bob

HCT

A really great book that explains things in everyday language. I reference it all the time.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

ThomasMN

Quote from: rbentle2 on December 30, 2007, 07:01:34 AM
Quote from: ThomasMN on December 29, 2007, 09:31:22 PM

Dry cured sausages are in the near future. I've got a few more items to get before I attempt it. What didn't you like about the duck proscuitto?

The flavor of it just wasn't that interesting. I've also made some lamb proscuitto with a friend that was just waaaaay too lamby.