Apple marinated, apple smoked pork tenderloin

Started by Consiglieri, December 29, 2007, 07:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consiglieri

This is a recipe from the Kirk book, but I varied the cooking.  Marinated the tenderloin in sparkling apple cider in one of the food saver canisters for about 2 hours.  Rubbed the meat with a rub made of about 4T brown sugar, 2t paprika, 2 t garlic salt, 2t onion powder, 1.5 t celery salt, 2 t black pepper, 1 t dry mustard.  Boil the marinade with any leftover rub for at least 5 minutes.

Popped into the smoker at 230F with 4 apple pucks plus one leftover maple.  mopped the apple/spice onto the meat with rosemary sprigs tied into a brush.  In the Bradley for about 2.5 hours.  Finished on the grill.

Here are the pictures (and looks like I have to steady my hands on the close ups)

Meat rubbed:

Meat cooked:

Meat cut:

Dinner:

Happy wife (who has been caring for sick baby).  Happy Consiglieri, for that matter.  If I can get a new year's party together, I want to try a crown roast of pork, but that's looking like it's not in the cards.

Happy new year to youz guyz.  Cheers.
Consiglieri

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Consiglieri on December 29, 2007, 07:47:50 PM
I want to try a crown roast of pork, but that's looking like it's not in the cards.

Guess you'll have to switch to Crown Royal...   :D :D :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

Consiglieri

Sparky, I think you're on to something.  I'll activate Operation Crown momentarily. 
Consiglieri

Arcs_n_Sparks

Smoking Duck

Very nice, Consig.  Only wished you lived closer so I could help you experiment with Sparky's fine idea.  ;D

Happy New Year to you and your family and I hope the young 'un is feeling better.  Nobody feels good when the baby doesn't feel good.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

begolf25

Looks great! Another project to add to the to do list.

Kane

ohhh, looks good and my wife just came home from grocery shopping and bought a pork tenderloin for dinner tomorrow. Im sure Ill use a different rub but I have some Apple cider out in the fridge and will let it marinate for a couple hours as you did.  whats a good internal temp for tenderloin?

LiL Smokie

Welcome Kane,
    I am a newbie also.  I did a pork tender and with mine I stopped the smoke at 140 and pulled the loin out at 165-170.  This worked ok for me
Vise-Gripper

West Coast Kansan

Many will cook a loin to an IT as low as 140 to 145.  I am an old man and married to a woman who does not like pink so 155 is our target. Still moist and flavorful.  Some have gone higher but 160 really does not serve the same safety purpose today as it did years ago.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

owrstrich

i dig the pig... even sparkling medallions...

looking tasty...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Kane

well I just got done with my tenderloin. soaked it for 2 hours in apple cider, dry rubbed. than hit it with about 2 hours of apple. pulled it out at 155 IT and FTCed for about 20 minutes while my scalloped tatoes finished up. I thought it was the best pork tenderloin Ive ever had but my wife didnt care for it much. (yes shes odd)

Consiglieri

Glad you liked it, Kane.  Wife give any input about what she didn't like?  My guess would be too sweet. 

I'm going to try this again, with a different rub, same everything else.  Rub will be crushed garlic, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper.  I think that might offset some of the sweet nicely. 
Consiglieri

Kane

the comment she made was it was too smokey. I myself didnt think it was but everyone has a opinion

Consiglieri

Quote from: Kane on January 08, 2008, 01:06:03 PM
the comment she made was it was too smokey. I myself didnt think it was but everyone has a opinion

Heck, that's an easy fix: reduce the smoking time.  My wife likes less smoke flavor too.  I'll typically apply smoke on ribs for 2hours/20 minutes rather than 4 hours.  For pulled pork, I'll apply smoke for 4 hours. 
Consiglieri

Kane

yea I did a Boston Butt that I hit with 4 hours of smoke and she liked that. I guess Ill have to tweak things for her tastes