Smoked Salt

Started by rbentle2, December 30, 2007, 01:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbentle2

For Christmas, my sister every year puts together a big selection of cool food items for me. This year she got me some different spices one of which is smoked salt. This stuff is powerful.

From the label on the bag, it's smoked for a week. Let me tell you, a little goes a long way. I used maybe 1/4 tsp in some tomato soup I'm making. Glad i didn't put more, or it would be overpowering. As is, it lends a nice smokey flavor to the soup. Once the bit I have it gone, I may have to try making some in the bradley. I'm thinking that everytime i smoke something, I"ll put the salt on a tray and stick it in there with the other food, everytime getting a little bit more smoke flavor.
Bob

Smoking Duck

What type of salt do you start with?  Kosher or maybe Sea?

Thanks!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

rbentle2

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 30, 2007, 02:03:35 PM
What type of salt do you start with?  Kosher or maybe Sea?

Thanks!

From the looks of it, I'd say it's a coarse sea salt. When I try it, that's what I'll use. On the label it says it's smoked for a week over wood and nut shells and then sun dried. Nut shells would be hard to do in the Bradley, unless you put them on the hotplate first and let the first puck knock them off.
Bob

Ontrack

I saw some smoked sea salt in our local grocery store the other day. It wasn't as dark as the salt in your pics. As always, I was in a hurry and didn't take time to read the label, but next time I'll buy a bottle and give it a try.

Arcs_n_Sparks

I donno....

Looks like scrapings off of the reentry vehicles that icerat claims are pork butts.   :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

rbentle2

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on December 30, 2007, 03:24:59 PM
I donno....

Looks like scrapings off of the reentry vehicles that icerat claims are pork butts.   :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

;D
Bob

Gizmo

I tried smoking table salt and kosher salt but just can't keep it from falling through the racks.  :o ;D

I have used hickory smoked salt for years when I want a little smoke flavor with the addition of salt.  Before the Bradley, I use to use it in seasonings a lot.  Not so much any more.  I also like to sprikle a little on green beans (with bacon bits) and as rb2 mentioned, a little goes a long way.  The stuff from Spice Island is fine grain and not the coarse.  It also has cocoa in it.   
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I've smoked kosher salt in the BS for 4 hours, it gave it a pretty good smoke flavor; but no wheres near the color of that. Mine turned out a light brown color.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteMine turned out a light brown color.

Ditto on some coarse sea salt I oak smoked for 8 hours.  :)
Manxman

Gizmo

The color could be an additive (Spice Island uses cocoa and that could be where its salt gets its color).  There is a black salt used in Indian cuisine but even it is not that black (more gray) and actually has a bit of a pinkish tint to it.  It could also be from natural wood smoking and being smoked longer and even hotter.  Has any of the old offsetters tried smoking salt?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

I tried smoking some kosher salt as well. I used hickory for 4 hours but every half hour I sprayed & stirred it. The spray was 1/2 liquid smoke and 1/2 water just to make the surface damp. This helped make the smoke and color adhere a little better but I still didn't feel it was as smokey as I wanted or expected.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

I smoke the sea salt also, better than kosher. Just dont use any water in the pan. I use 5 pucks of hickory @180. Take it out and let it get room temp then into spice mill  ;D

nepas

Malc

I was thinking grey salt too when I saw the pic.
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

sherlock

Wife had bought me some that was just labeled "Smoked Sea Salt". Looks like the picture and yes, it only takes a little. Expensive though. She paid $2 for 1 oz, ($32 per pound).