• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New here... what fun!

Started by Midnight Geek, December 30, 2007, 09:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnight Geek

My husband got a Bradley Smoker for Christmas, and today we tested it out with ribs. They turned out awesome, thanks to all the good advice from this forum. The best thing we learned after years of trying ribs on our old, cobbed together smoker, was the FTC method. Took a bit to find out what that meant, but that was a great piece of advice, and wonderful for when we cook for a large crowd. It will be easier to time our meal instead of trying to rush things along. Here's the specs on what we did:
- 2 racks of whole spare ribs, each cut in half to fit the trays, membranes removed, rubbed and refrigerated overnight. We used a rub recipe from Alton Brown's "Who Loves Ya Baby Back", modifying the recipe a tad.
- Brought ribs to room temp while smoker warmed up
- Put the ribs on at 10:00am, at Noon, the temp was 225 degrees, so lowered it slightly.
- 1:20pm, flipped and spritzed with apple juice, but didn't rotate racks, as the bottom rack was thickest.
- 3:00pm took out the thinnest rack, FTC'd it
- 4:00pm took out the rest to FTC
- 6:30 still smokin' hot out of the cooler, and they were awesome!
The only thing we need to improve, is that bottom piece got a bit charred, but the other pieces were outstanding!
Thanks to all of the great advice here. I've already e-mailed Iceman for his rub/sauce - you are obviously a cool dude - thanks!

mmm.....pork fat!

Consiglieri

First, welcome and congratulations on your results!

As for the charred condition, I think rotating the bradley racks would help. Every so often, move the tops to the bottoms and rotate the back side to the front.  That will even out temp discrepencies in the box due to proximity to the heat element.

Hope you're having fun. 
Consiglieri

Gizmo

Welcome Midnight,
Just wait til you get your sopin sauce supply.  You will add a few more steps to the rib process for sure.  After the FTC, a brush with the sauce and a flash grillin to carmelize the sauce will complete your rib experience.  Well done.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Welcome to the forum, Midnight.  I can't add anything to what the others have said.  But, we do love having new people and their ideas on this forum.  It makes a great community even greater.

Again, welcome aboard!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Oldman

QuoteI've already e-mailed Iceman for his rub/sauce - you are obviously a cool dude - thanks!
You will not be sorry.

Ice's sauce changes when used  -- it takes on a much better flavor (IMO) when "cooked -- grilled" than when it is tasted out of the bottle.

BTW Welcome to the forums.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Mr Walleye

Midnight... Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the early sucess! More to come for sure!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Welcome Midnight

Everyone already done said it  ;D

nepas

LilSmoker

Hi and welcome, glad to hear of the successful ribs!

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

bigredsmoker

Welcome Midnight!! You are right, Iceman is a really cool and his sauce is awesome!!

Midnight Geek

Thanks everyone! I just got Iceman's sauce today! We're so excited to try it out! BigRedsmoker - I see we both live in the same great state of Nebraska! :) 
mmm.....pork fat!

bigredsmoker

Yes, It's nice to have someone else from Big Red country on the board. Are you a native Nebraskan or a transplant?
I am out your way often during the summer and fall. We have a cabin on Sherman that we spend a lot of weekends at. We sometimes road trip to Kearney to get food or visit Menards and Target.

Go Big Red!!

Terry

Midnight Geek

I was born right here in Kearney, but I've lived all over, since my dad was in the service, but have been here for a while now. Good to hear from you! We're using our smoker for the second time today - we're trying a brisket, so hopefully it will turn out ok. 
mmm.....pork fat!