• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Carnitas - Thank you Nepas

Started by Buck36, January 01, 2008, 07:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck36

We did a Mexican themed dinner for New Year's Eve and I brought carnitas using Nepas' recipe. They turned out great. That recipe is fantastic!

I like that you keep stirring it every 20 minutes to get it crispy. We had to hold dinner because of trying to get all the kids fed at the party. It was great because you just kept turning the meat and if it dried out I just added a little beer. The 40 minutes of smoke seemed to be just right too. You could tell it was there but it didn't over power the meat. Thank you!

Pork cut up in chunks.

Smoked, spiced and cooked

Mixed, crispy, and delicious!

blucrsr

I want to second the "Thank You" to NePas.  Your carnita recipe posted on the recipe site was amazing.  I didn't take any pictures because the food disappeared way too fast.  I used a small 3lb pork butt and kept the spice amount and cooking time the same and it was amazing.  I used 2 pucks of hickory.  Thanks!
If I can't have everything well then just give me a taste.

NePaSmoKer

Anytime guys.

I was born and raised in S, Calif and this is my moms recipe. She has mexican roots so to speak  ;D so i ate allot of mexican food and watched how my mom and aunts cooked.

nepas

pensrock

Ok, it looks great but what is a 'carnita'? Do you put the spiced meat on a taco shell or tortia? I've never had them before and am just wondering what to do with the meat once cooked. It does look tasty.

IKnowWood

Pens

Carnitas are done just about anyway you want.  I have not seen much in a crunchy taco, soft yes at times. But Carnitas can be with a Tortilla on a Burrito, Quesadilla, Taquito, Enchilada, etc..  Or even not chopped to small in chunks simmered with some Chile deArbol and New Mexico red flakes and served.  Or add some Red or Green on that.  But one of my utmost favorite is simmer in a spicy Red  and into a Sopapilla.  The best ever I had is in Tomasitta's in Sante Fe NM.  ok, home sick again.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Gizmo

My favorite is a Carnitas Torta.  Torta is basically a bread roll.  Very tasty sandwiches.  Usually have a little guacamole in them as well.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

blucrsr

These carnitas are so good you'll be eating them right from the pan.  I hadn't even got to the shredding part and there was already a large amount "missing".  Now who did that  ???
If I can't have everything well then just give me a taste.

NePaSmoKer

Like Johnny (IKW) said there are so many ways to make carnitas. One of these days i will show another way my mom made it.

nepas

pensrock

I get it, carnitas is basiclly the meat and how its prepared not really how its served. All I know is they look great.
I'll put this near the top of the 'have to do list'!

NePaSmoKer

Maybe i can do some at the smokeout with homemade smoked salsa and chips.   ;D

nepas

IKnowWood

Pens

Literal cultural translation is Tasty Pork Morsels.  The size of the morsel is up to the chef.  I had a good local Relleno with Carnitas that was nice.  Almost a Barbacoa style meat but still Carnita stuffed in a Roasted Pepper.  Yum. 

Sorry for confusing by adding the Barbacoa varietal to this thread.    Its not as robust and spicy as the Carnita and is strictly a juicy fine pulled pork.  Many times from the Tenderloin and not the Butt.  Some spend the effort to use the Butt, but its real fatty.  Most fast food places use the Tenderloin as its less effort to pull.  but usually not smoked as there is less fat to maintain moisture.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes