• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Did another triple smoked bacon

Started by HCT, January 04, 2008, 04:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

Finished another triple smoke on 1-2-08 and let it sit for 2 days. The results were great again. This time I let it sit in the dry rub cure for 11 days, the only ingredient I added wea dark brown sugar, 1 Tbsp per pound. I smoked it 4 hours the first day with maple, second day 4 hrs. of apple, third day 4 hours of maple. I kept the smoking process at a temp under 80 degrees. On the third day after the smoking was done I brought the box temp up to 170-180 til the bacon reached an internal temp of 138. After each smoke I let it rest in the box overnite. Thankfully no bear or other critters got to the box. :D I did a taste test and the results were great, a nice smokey taste not overpowering. Although my mentor on this original project said to keep the temp down, on the first time we made this, Habs and I both agreed that the bacon had to be brought up to the 137-140 internal temps. Again I found this to be true, I tasted the bacon before bringing it up to final temp and it was just to tough to eat without further cooking. That's the beauty of triple smoke, the bacon needs no further cooking, just slice and enjoy. Me thinks next time I might smoke it another day or 2 just to experiment. Another nice thing about this bacon is that it doesn't need refridgeration. It can be kept out on the counter for about 10 days but it never lasts that long here. Since I did about 15 lbs. of belly the rest of the bacon I don't keep out I vacuum pack and refridgerate or freeze.
   Just wanted to add before I did this smoke I made some canadian bacon which also came out great. I used Sausage Makers Brown Sugar cure and added a little more brown sugar to the brine. I find that this cure needs a little enhancement. :)
For the bacon lovers, you gots to try the triple smoke, you won't be disappointed.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

HCT, You and I seem to be on the same page.  I did 10 lbs of belly and some Canadian bacon.  I didn't do a tripple smoke but I did a multi smoke process on all of it.  Started with a cold smoke of 3 hours and then another 3 hours of smoke while doing the graduated heat process.  One of the bellies was treated with with a honey cure.  Need to slice it up now that it has rested.  I also took the Bacon to 138 but the Can Bacon I took to 150.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

HCT

Hey Giz, I brought the temp to 150 also on the canadian bacon. My daughter ate over a half lb. when she saw it. At first see just nibbled to taste it then I had to keep slicing it for her, she loved it. Asked me if I could ship it down to florida for her. :D
Now the only bad thing about the bacons is that I can't eat any solid food for a few days, just had a wisdom tooth pulled and the doc said soft foods. Grrrr :D
probably the biggest"

Gizmo

The docs have never eaten good smoked food obviously.  If you can hold out it is probably best to do so.  I ate beef jerky after getting 2 of my wisdom teeth taken out (took 4 hours for the 2 of them).  The only problem I really had was getting a small piece of the meat inside one of the sockets.  Took me a good 20 minutes to get it out.  Now that is dedication to the hoven beast.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

HCT;

That sounds great. I'm thinking of doing another batch; since I gave most of mine away on New Year's Eve and New Years day. What I've been thinking about doing on the next batch, is after the third day I am going to keep it in the smoker for an additional 2 - 3 days at temperature of around 80°F to further dry it out before raising the heat. I'm hoping that will intensify the flavors more.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Habs,
   I know what you're saying about the bacon, you can't even hint to anyone that you're making a batch or the begging starts. ;D ;D ;D :P Over here I have to hide it or the kids start showing up and sniffing the air saying "what smells so good, wadja make huh, wadja make."  :D :D
Sounds like an idea, let me know how it comes out. You going to get your belly at Josef's or try that place in Mass? I have to give him a call on prices.
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

I have to go with Josef's, if they slaughter pigs this time of year. No one can beat their price, and plus he is only 9 miles away.

If not I will check out the place in MA. I do have one problem with that; I lost the name and address of the place. Can you send me another PM or a post with that information?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

HCT

Habs,
Check your box, I also gave you a couple of more options if Josef can't deliver.
probably the biggest"

Smoking Duck

I'm contemplating some bacon myself...what dry rub do you use to cure your bacon?  Also, is there a desired temp the refrig should be when it's in the rub during the cure?  I know some have to be a specific temp and just wondered.

Thanks!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

HCT;
Thanks. I check my box right away, but I'm hoping I can get my bellies from my regular source.

Smoking Duck;
I keep my refrigerator at 38°F. You want to keep the temperature under 40°F, but I would not go under 36°F.
I use the basic dry cure from Charcuterie, and add about 1 tablespoon of sugar (white or brown) per pound; when I make triple smoked. If you are making regular smoked slab bacon, you may want to reduce the sugar, or not add it at all.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5463.0/

I
         don't
                   inhale.

bigredsmoker

HCT or Habs, I am getting a whole pork belly form the butcher on Monday and want to do bacon. He said they come 3 to a case and way around 33lbs a case. So I am guessin my belly should be around 11lbs. I have questions:

1) How big of pieces should I cut the belly into?

2) Do I need to hang them to smoke or can I do them on the racks.

3) I will use the cure from Chartcuterie book but would like to do some maple flavor, how would I do that? How long in the cure?

4) After the first smoke you said you left it in the box overnight. It will be cold here at night, so do I have to worry about it freezing in the box? Should I just put it in the fridge overnight?

I think thats it, I have about 16lbs of Habs recipe Canadian Bacon in the fridge on day 2 of the cure. Can't wait for it to be ready.

Habs, Have you ever added maple to your Canadian bacon? If so when do I add and how much?

Thanks!  Terry

Habanero Smoker

Hi Terry;

You made a good choice in deciding to make Triple Smoked.

1) My bellies are generally 10 - 13 lbs each. I prefer to cut mine in thirds. That size makes it easier to cure and store in the refrigerator. I start at thick end, and cut that off so the rest of the belly is about the same thickness, and they cut the remaining piece in half. Usually it will work out that each piece is the same width. Only one will fit per rack.

2) I put mine on racks. You will get grid marks on the bottom, but they turn out fine.

3) For maple flavor, I generally use Maple granulated sugar. I get my maple sugar from http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/search/searchresultsmain.jsp?fresh=1&searchType=advanced&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&attribute14=0&attribute15=0&attribute16=0&RS=1&keyword=maple+sugar . This time of year they may not have any until they begin tapping the trees. I've never tried to use an artificial flavor, and I've never tried using maple syrup to make the cure into a paste. If you go to page #83 it will give you directions for making maple cured bacon using both the maple sugar and maple syrup. If you don't have maple sugar, then I would replace the maple sugar that is in the recipe with white sugar and add some maple flavoring

The curing time takes 7 days. Sometimes I have to cure the thicker pieces an extra day or two. A good way to tell if the bacon is fully cured is that at the end of the curing time, it should feel uniformly firm in all spots when you squeeze it. If there are any soft spots let it cure for another day and check it again.

4) I have a temperature control device that kept my cabinet at 90°F at all times. The purpose of making Triple Smoked is to also dry the bacon to concentrate the flavors. This time of year, I would not keep it in the cabinet, unless you are sure you smoker will be able to maintain the 90°F temperature, and not over shoot that mark. If not take the bacon out of the smoker and leave it at room temperature until you can put it back into the smoker. Don't worry about food borne bacteria, the smoke and nitrites will protect the bacon for that. If I can't keep it in the smoker I leave mine on the kitchen counter, but this will make your whole house smell like smoked bacon.

I hope I covered everything. If not, just ask. Either HCT or myself will probably be able to answer it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

bigredsmoker

Thanks for the info Habs, That helps. How about the Canadian Bacon question? If I want to add Maple flavor to it do I add on the 3rd day of the cure and how much should be added?  Terry

Habanero Smoker

I have used just maple sugar to the cure in the past for my Canadian bacon, and was not satisfied with the end results. I had planned to experiment a little. Today I was able to get boneless center cut pork tenderloin for $1.79/lb. I bought two; 3.5 lbs. and 4 lbs. After seeing the maple cure bacon recipe in Charcuterie I may try one with a maple cure.

To get back to your question, I've never attempted to add Maple flavor yet. If I were I would add it at the beginning, and for a 3-5 lb piece I would start with 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of flavoring. I based that on what most recipes use for the amount of sugar that will be involved. Someone had posted the use of Maple flavoring just recently, I can't recall what he did, but that would be a better source, since I have not tried it yet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.