• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beef brisket pointers needed

Started by huntfishguy, January 05, 2008, 07:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntfishguy

Guys,

If'n I was going to smoke a brisket, can anyone point me in the right direction on:

Cut of meat? what to ask for?

Rub?- I am currently using Rolands BBQ rub.

Smoke time?

Cook time?

Prep hints?

Best type of wood? I have cherry, hickory and apple available.

Thanks in advance for any advice posted!

Hunt

owrstrich

i prefer choice rather than select... however i can not find choice... so i end up smoking select... so either is ok but choice is a better cut of beast...

you maybe able to find flats at the grocery... i get the whole thing... thick end separated from the flat by bunch of fat...

i like dizzy pig cowlick rubb... but just about any beast rubb is better than no rubb at all...

i cut the fat cap down to about 1/4 inch... rinse it off real good and patt it dry... then rubb it down and tie it up in a plastic supermarket bag and fridge for a day or two...

i put 5 hours of hickory on it at 200 degree box... if using the bs i would change the water when the pucks are spent and let it go at 200 degrees until 180 internal then bump it to 210 degrees until 190 internal... then pull it and ftc it until ready to slice... then slice thin diagonal across the grain...

lately i have been using the gizmo boat method... i put 5 hours of hickory on it at 200 degree box... then i take them out of the box and put them in a disposable roaster pan... i use 1 cup of worcestershire in the pan... gizmo uses jack daniels... you can use anything you like... but you got to get some moisture in the pan... then i oven it at 200 until 180 internal then bump it to 210 degrees until 190 internal... then pull it... tent it for a while and then slice thin diagonal across the grain...

gizmo only goes to 180 internal... his brisket is some of the best every... but so is mine at 190...

i dont know cook time on 1 brisket... i measure them so i get whole briskets that fit the whole rack without touching the sides of the box... then i get 4 and smoke do all 4 at the same time... 4 whole rack briskets will take approx 18 to 24 hours at 200 degrees... some folks do them hotter with good results... i never smoke the beast above 210 degrees in attempt to keep its natural moisture from boiling off...

1 or 2 briskets i would go with 4 hours smoke and count on 16 to 20 hours depending on weight and temperature... i go 5 hours on a full load... but 4 hours on smaller load... your briskets will stay hot for hours in ftc so you can use that for a buffer from target internal to grubb time... start early and use the ftc... if you dont your brisket wont be ready... trust me...

gizmo covers his pan with foil after it hits 180 and stores it in 150 oven... its just a warmer at that point...

there are hundreds of smokers here and a couple dozen ways to do it... search brisket and you will see what others are doing...

in the end... you must protect the beast from brisket burglars... they are everywhere...

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3424.0

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

iceman

Yep, what O said. Choice is the better cut of meat but select works if you can't find choice. Heed the words of the all knowing O. The beast thieves lurk everywhere especially when the beast nears 180 and is resting. :D ;D ;)

gillgetter

I get my Brisket from Sams club. Nice 10 lbers. I let it sit in fridge with rub on it for almost 24hrs before hitting smoker. I use Hickory. Theres some good rub recipes on this site. Do a search and pick out what sounds good to you and fel free to change/add seasonings to your liking.