• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First effort

Started by RhinoDoc, November 17, 2004, 02:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhinoDoc

Just got my BS (my birthday isn't for a couple of weeks but the box was too big to hide in the house, so my wife gave it to me early). Cured it yesterday, and was planning on smoking something simple and quick in a couple of days, probably a chicken. Here is my question - if I am smoking something relatively small like a single chicken, is it better to place it at the top of the box or on the bottom rack? Does it matter? Thanks.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

well i dont know if quick is the key word or not,  but a chicken will take maybe 4 to 5 hours + , the key to this is slow cooking, if you want to cut some time is to split the bird in half, or just smoke for 2 hours and then put in oven or the grill to finish,  if you have a chicken or a chunk of meat just one rack put it on the second rack from the top , you will also need a good meat thermometer with 2 probs one for the meat and one to read the smoker temo, i hope this helps you and wellcome to the bradley family,

nsxbill

Lets have some reality here.  I warmed my wife to the idea of the smoker to start smoking salmon....something she loves.  I told her I ordered it while were on a cruise to Alaska and she was enjoying some nice smoked salmon at dinner.

When the smoker arrived, I seasoned it, and smoked her some salmon...Thanks for the recipe Fuzzy Bear.  

She really enjoyed the first "burnt offerings!"

You wife bought this for you.  We won't think you are "Whipped" if you ask her what she would like to have you cook first.  Just a suggestion from someone who has been married 35 years in Jan.  It might pave way for many more goodies! [8D]

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

DOC,

Good for you, what a wife.   My sugestions are:  First get a remote thermometer, about 25-$$.  This will GREATLY inhance your success and make you look good quickly.  Some simple things you need to keep in mind:  Preheat your BS to around 250 for an hour or so while you get things ready, Next open your vent to 1/3 (if you keep it closed you will have too much moisture),  my prefrance is to use no more than 4hrs of pucks to smoke with. Also, this is just my opinion, stay away from mesquite for your first time, try somethng like Pecan, Maple, or Oak.

As far a chickens, good meat to start out on.  Man, just don't do one, do at least two.  You will be glad you did.  I would smoke them at a temp of 220 til an internal temp of 165-170 in the breast.  When you think they are getting done, about 160 or so,open up the vent about 2/3rds and crank up the heat, this will give you a better skin.  Depending on the size of the chickens, you could put them both on one rack and I would use the second from the top slot.

Some things you will notice:  the BS temp will drop every time you open the door AND it may take a while for it to get back up to temp when you first put your meat in.  Don't worry, this is normal.  This thing is desighned to go low and slow, not cook a cake. Also try and stop your self from opening the door "just to see how things are going", curiosity killed the cat AND you will mess up your results and get you frustrated.  Trust me here, let the smoker do its thing, you won't be sorry.  HTH and have fun, welcome to the forum.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

Welcome Doc,

I agree with all above and have a couple additions.

Buy "Smoke & Spice" by Bill & Cheryl Jamison. It's a must have. Ignore the mopping part though, you don't need it with a Bradley and like the Duckster said, will only increase your cooking time with all that door openin'. Besides, if you're really worried about it drying out, (with chicken you shouldn't be) lay a single layer of bacon on the top rack & put the chicken on the 3rd. Selfbaster![:p]

Don't put too much trust in the in-door thermo temp. It may be inherently whacked or be touching the food. Remote probe to measure internal is the only way to go.

Definitely smoke 2 birds, the first one will disappear in minutes! If nothing else, the second one can make some chicken salad sandwiches like you've never tasted the next day. Or chunk the meat off the bones (save the bones for stock), vacusuck it & throw it in the freezer. Toss it into a chili or stew you make sometime this winter.

And Bill: Congrats in advance![8D] That's quite an accomplishment in today's world. She must be a pretty special lady.

Happy smokin',

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

Kirk,
I can vouch for the smoked chicken salad.  Its gone so fast you would think there is a toy surprize in the bottom of the bowl[:D].

P.S.  I've got a 20 year anniversary coming up in Jan.  I was blessed with the SmokeMistress though.  I can't beat Bill but he's old as dirt from what I hear[;)]

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

I'd be going on a 15th, but a brain tumor caught her just short of our 10th. She was only 31.[:(]

Thankfully, Anne came into my life & although we're only approaching our 3rd, I have every expectation to celebrate OUR 30th on this board![:)][:)]

ps Old Farts, I'm not 40 yet, CLOSE, but not yet![:D]

Kirk[8D]

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">ps Old Farts, I'm not 40 yet, CLOSE, but not yet! [:D]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Old Farts uh??? Well FART THIS~~~~Olds---&gt;&lt;---BBQed Chez~~~~!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

nsxbill

Old Fart?

Old as Dirt?

Ouch!  There is still fire in the hearth despite the snow on the roof!

Little woman and I have both been married before.    Both of us learned from the first time!

I am 60, but brain still thinks I am 18.  My body tells me different when I go to do something.  

The key to a long happy marriage.  Do what she wants you to do some of the time.  When you really want something bad, have a plan....make it her idea.

Cook for her...my woman loves it when she doesn't have to cook.  Irregardless how it comes out, she appreciates the effort.  While you are eating, make sure you clearly say that this is ok, but so much better when you make it, even though you know you smoke stuff better than her.

Do the dishes once in awhile.  I have retired twice, but wife still working.  I get home on days I work at 3:00 p.m.  She doesn't get home until about 5:30.  I try to clean up the kitchen and some nights have the margaritas chilling in the referigerator.  On smoking days put away all your rub and sauce making material!  Clean your smoker racks and then clean the sink before she sees it.

Don't leave your underwear and clothes around for her to have to pick-up....especially the underwear![xx(]

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">....especially the underwear![xx(]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What you got tracks too~~! LOL! Now where did I hide that bottle of bleach [:D]

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

From a delicious smoked bird to skid marks. Can we derail a thread or what![:D][:D]

nsxbill

Remember, I just said pick-up your underwear, nothing about skid marks!  

Bill

MallardWacker

Please lets get back to smoking here.

<b><font color="red"><u><font size="3">TMI!</font id="size3"></u></font id="red"></b>

Although I do remember Kirk refering to smoking his shorts when I  brought up the fact about sawing corn cobbs for pucks.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>

<b><font color="red"><u><font size="3">TMI!</font id="size3"></u></font id="red"></b>

This should read:
<font color="red"><font size="6">TMI!!!!!!</font id="size6"></font id="red">

Although I do remember Kirk refering to smoking his shorts when I  brought up the fact about sawing corn cobbs for pucks.

I had forgot about the corncobbs LOL!!
You woulda thought by Kirks response you suggested using cow pucks or something.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

OK,

Call me internet dumb, but what does "TMI" stand for?

Kirk