• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork & Son's Cookbook

Started by Carter, January 07, 2008, 09:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carter

I got this book for Christmas from my wife.  I had asked for it because I've seen it on the shelf in the book store for months.  The thing was that it was always in a wrapper so you couldn't leaf through it.

I figured it would be loaded with great ideas on all cuts of pork, including ideas on sausage making, curing, and generally good recipes.

So far, I'm a bit dissappointed.  A lot of recipes that I just wont even look at because they're so unhealthy, and many that I would look at that my wife wont.  As much as we like it, we do try to limit our intake of Pork Shoulder because of the whole artery hardening thing.

There are some interesting ideas on cooking shoulder in the oven, but limited ideas on BBQ'ing/smoking.  A lot of recipes call for using a skillet.

I did a pork loin last night with a pesto sauce.  It called for you to use a hot skillet.  I'll never do that again.  I set off all the smoke detectors in the house.  I also had a tough time getting it cooked through and ended up cutting it up like a stir fry.

No info on making your own sausage (except blood - just can't wrap my head around it) and only instructions on where and what kind of cured sausage to buy for specific recipes.

I know this is a bit of a rant, but I was curious if anyone else had this book and what they thought of it.

Carter

Mr Walleye

I don't have that book but it's definitely good to have reports on things like this. That way others don't have to make the same mistake.

I followed Stickbowcrafters suggestion...

"Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn and Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas."

You can get them on Amazon or at least that's where I got them.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Quote from: Mr Walleye on January 07, 2008, 10:09:30 AM
I don't have that book but it's definitely good to have reports on things like this. That way others don't have to make the same mistake.

I followed Stickbowcrafters suggestion...

"Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn and Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas."

You can get them on Amazon or at least that's where I got them.

Mike

Ditto on that Walleye. Thanks for the heads up Carter.