• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

What a freakin' virus!

Started by Ontrack, January 09, 2008, 08:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontrack

Hey all, I've missed you guys. I picked up 2 computer viruses (through a spyware scan) a week ago and have been computerless ever since. After about 8 hours on the phone with Norton and about 3 hours with Dell, I was worse off than I was with the viruses (but I did learn the Bombay dialect). I finally said @#$% with it and replaced the 4 year old computer.Still setting it up and trying to learn Vista, but I'll be back soon!

Arcs_n_Sparks

Ontrack,

Hoping you get back "on track" soon... :o :o :o

Arcs_n_Sparks

Ontrack

Thanks arcs-I've missed this site more than any other...I never thought a computer was such a must have until I went a week without one. Now I just gotta figure this Vista thing out... ::)

Mr Walleye

I can relate Ontrack. I have 2 systems at home and another 7 at the office to look after. It seems as though there is never a month that goes by with out something breaking or at least not functioning the way it should.

Good to have you back.... naaa I cant repeat Arcs line!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

coyote

Habanero Smoker

Sorry to hear about your problem. Do you recall what viruses you got? It's gotten to a point, that I have so much protection, it's beginning to slow down my Internet performance.

What operating system were you using? Since it looks like you are at a point were you would need to reformat the hard drive and do a new install anyway, if you were running XP I would keep the old computer just to have a second one on hand.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

car54

Ontrack, I bought a new computer a year ago. I went from windows 98 to vista ultimate. Vista seems OK to me.

Brad

Ontrack

Thanks for the support, guys. I was running XP and and doing a weekly update on Spybot Search and Destroy. I've had this anti-spyware program for several years, and have had a virus "sneak" through it before, but Norton caught it. Not this time..I got the Trojan.vundo virus and a second one which I can't remeber the name of. I know several people in my area who have Norton and have gotten viruses in the past couple of weeks. Habs, I thought I was "overprotected" and slowing down, too. When I let Rajib from Bombay Norton take control of my computer, he screwed up more than he fixed, and Dell support was only slightly better. So, be careful out there guys, the gremlins are lurking... >:(

iceman

Quote from: Ontrack on January 09, 2008, 08:17:54 PM
Thanks arcs-I've missed this site more than any other...I never thought a computer was such a must have until I went a week without one. Now I just gotta figure this Vista thing out... ::)

I'm in the same boat Ontrack!!! Had to buy a new laptop a couple of weeks ago and now I have to learn Vista. Keep me posted will you. I've already found out Vista doesn't work to well with a lot of the accessories I try to plug on to it. It took me five tries to find a USB to serial port adaptor that would work with it for loading channels into my sat receiver boxes.
I guess I'm sort of an old dog - new trick sort of guy even though I was never any good at learning tricks to begin with!!! :D
Good luck.
Pat

Ontrack

Hey Pat, I'm an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy, but it was so I did. Well, actually I replaced instead of fixed. I have heard some stories about Vista being very "uncompatible", but I guess I'll cross that bridge...So far I've pretty much figured out the basics, but I'm sure it'll get complicated as I get more advanced. I'll let you know if I find any valuable secrets, and please do the same for me! :)

bigredsmoker

I bought the Mrs. a new laptop for Christmas and had them put XP on it because of the things I had heard about Vista. I have been very happy with the XP laptop, no problems getting it on my network, etc.  I now have 3 computers in my house and I am trying to decide on my virus software. I really don't want to pay 3 Norton anual subscriptions. A friend of mine told me about some virus software that allows you to register 3 computers. It gets high ratings on consumer reports but I can't remember the name. I always hate it when I first upgrade computers. Usually takes me about a month just to get it all set up how I like it. Hope you get it all figured out On track!

Ontrack

Thanks, bigred. I got the he!! away from Norton this time and went with McAfee. My sister-in-law was telling me about her virus protection on 3 home computers, but I can't remember the name of it. I'd actually never heard of it, but she said all of the computer mags had it rated #1. I get McAfee's $120 package free through Comcast, so I thought I'd give it a try. Couldn't be much worse than what I had...

iceman

If you guys remember the virus protection for 3 let me know. I don't want to pay triple either.

Ontrack

I will find out tomorrow and let you guys know.

car54

I use AVG. It seems to works well with Vista. I have not had a virus. It has blocked some but nothing is perfect.

Brad