• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

OBSS with Digi II and Rator unit

Started by Fixitfanatic, January 10, 2008, 05:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fixitfanatic

I just bought a OBSS along with a digi II and a raptor. If the raptor controls the heat by turning the OBSS power on and off how are you supposed to smoke the meat once the pit temperature is reached. It keeps turning the smoke generator on and off as well?
WHEN THERE'S SMOKING TO DO, I MUST'NT BE SLOW. SO IT'S HIP, HIP, HIP, AND AWAY I GO!

Mr Walleye

Hey Fixit

You only connect the Raptor/DIGI II to the tower heater. The smoke generator is powered directly and not through the Raptor that way it wonlt shut off on you.

Have fun.... and nice setup!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Fixitfanatic

Thanks Mr. Walleye but there is no cord coming off the tower to plug into the raptor only the patch cord from the smoke generator and if you plugged the tower directly into the raptor would'nt you be bypassing the fuse protection for the smoker which is located on the generator?
WHEN THERE'S SMOKING TO DO, I MUST'NT BE SLOW. SO IT'S HIP, HIP, HIP, AND AWAY I GO!

Mr Walleye

I don't have a Raptor but I have been looking at them. There are a couple of people here on the forum with them so hopefully they will comment but I would assume the Raptor has it's own fuse or breaker on it. I can't say for sure but I would think it would have to. I currently have a PID which is connected in the same way, although mine is a DBS. I installed a fuse in the PID when I built it. I know on the OBS you basically remove the patch cord between the tower and the smoke generator. The plug your Raptor directly into the wall outlet and into the back of the tower. You also leave your temp slide on the front of the tower set to maximum (far right).

Mike

Mr Walleye

Fixit

I just had a look at their site and it does indicate the Raptor is fused. Here is a link...

http://www.thebbqguru.com/bbqPowerRaptor.cfm

Mike

Mr Walleye

I also just noticed on their site the DIGIQ II is $159 and the Power Raptor is $110.

Is that a price reduction on the Power Raptor or am I just dreamin'. I thought the price was higher than that.

Mike

Fixitfanatic

Thank you Mr. Walleye, I'll give that a try, might even be able to find an in-line fuse for the tower cord if the raptor doesn't have one...Appreciate it......YOU DA MAN!

Fixitfanatic

No mike I paid $269 for the digi and raptor. After reading what you guys wrote it seemed worth the investment. It wouldn't take any time for me to burn up $269 worth of meat.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Fixitfanatic on January 10, 2008, 07:31:01 AM
No mike I paid $269 for the digi and raptor. After reading what you guys wrote it seemed worth the investment. It wouldn't take any time for me to burn up $269 worth of meat.

I must have been dreamin' again!  ::)

At any rate, I'm sure it will be an awsome addtion for sure!  ;)

Mike

Habanero Smoker

Hooking the generator directly into the Raptor will also cause the bisquettes to jam. The Raptor does have it's own fuse. You will also need to change the power cord that connects to the heating element, so that it can plug into the back of the Raptor. If you have an extra computer power cord laying around that will work.

Mike;
The Raptor was expected to drop in price, but I'm not sure if he has made that reduction. There was suppose to have been an updated version of the Raptor coming out this year, and the one pictured on the site is not the version that will be released.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Habs

Do you remember what you paid for your Raptor?

The current price is $110 for it and I thought is was higher last time I checked but like I said.... I might have been dreamin' again.

Mike

carnie1

Yes the Raptor is fused, just plug cabinet into raptor , and the smoke generator to a seperate cord, don't forget to slide your heat switch all the way up.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Mr Walleye on January 10, 2008, 05:47:12 PM
Habs

Do you remember what you paid for your Raptor?

The current price is $110 for it and I thought is was higher last time I checked but like I said.... I might have been dreamin' again.

Mike
Hi Mike;

You may be right about the price drop, because you were pricing them at that time, I was just looking at the price of the DigiQ II. I can't remember what price I paid for the Raptor. I purchased the Power Raptor Package (Raptor and Competitor) back in October, 2004 and paid $247.00 for the package. The receipt doesn't have the actual cost breakdown. So I don't know what I paid for the Competitor or what I paid for the Raptor; but it does seem like I paid $130.00 for the Raptor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Fixitfanatic

Yes a computer power cord will work but the Raptor is fused with a 15 amp fuse and the bradley is fused with a 10 amp fuse. What I did was go to radio shack and buy a 250v 20amp in-line fuse holder. I then took the jacket off about 8" of the computer power cord, located the hot wire, spliced it, and installed the fuse holder. In the fuse holder I put a 10 amp fuse.    Dave

Mr Walleye

Excellent idea Fixit! (I wonder where he got that name!  ::) )

I wonder if the fuse in the Raptor is accessable. If so a person could just change it out if you were concerned about it.

Mike