kosher vs pickling salt

Started by pensrock, January 14, 2008, 12:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Hi, I plan to make some of Kummocks salmon this weekend and was looking at what I need. His brine calls for 1 cup pickling salt and I have plenty of course kosher salt. Is there a conversion for different types of salt?
TIA

Mr Walleye

Here is a Quote from one of Hab's posts, Hopefully he will comment too.

Pickling salt is a very fine ground salt that has no additives, it looks like table salt. I believe the Diamond Crystal brand comes in a round plastic jar (or that may be Morton's, I should go to my pantry to check). It is a much denser then kosher salt and is equal to approximately 1 1/2 cups of Morton's Kosher salt, and about 2 cups of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Pickling/canning salt dissolves a lot faster and easier, so I prefer that when making brines. Looks like everything has been covered.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

Thanks for the useful information. I think I'll just stop at the store and pick up some pickling salt.

Habanero Smoker

I forgot to mention that you can also weight salt. I know that table and pickling salt weights about 10 ounces per cup. So just multiply the number of cups by 10 ounces and that will give you the weight of how much salt to add, whether it be Morton's Kosher; Diamond Kosher or sea salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bad Flynch

The only real requirement for salt used in curing is that it be pure--and that mean no iodide, too!

However, the density of the salt varies quite a bit by type. Kosher is least dense, popcorn salt is probably the densest. The very best policy is to weigh the salt for your recipes, then the volume becomes unimportant.
B.F.

HCT

Payson, thanks for that website.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"