• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Idle Bradley

Started by bigredsmoker, January 15, 2008, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredsmoker

I have to vent my frustrations a little bit so bear with me. There is nothing wrong with my DBS, the problem is this cold weather. I can't wait until it warms up so I can unleash the true smoking monster that lives inside me. I keep looking at these great posts of great smoked products from all of you in the warm weather states and I am envious...for now. It is just not as much fun when you have to go outside in 10 degree weather, and your Bradley takes hours to pre-heat and then it struggles to stay at 220.  Since I have not had my DBS through a spring and summer yet I am very excited to get there. I want to be out on the patio having a c0cktail and drawing all of the neighbors over with the wonderful smell. Ok, I think I am better now.  March can't get here soon enough. Thanks for listening. Smoke on all, and keep the pictures coming. It's the only thing that will get me through the next couple months!

Terry

Consiglieri

Can you try smoking in your garage?
Consiglieri

car54

I put my Bradley in a cabinet and I have used it when it is 10 below. It is next to my back door and generally I only have to be outside for 2 minutes. The cabinet acts as a layer of insulation. I also have a 2 probe maverik, one for the meat and the other for the smoker temp. This helps for not having to go outside. Do not let the weather stop you. Be creative.

Brad

Oldman

Ever think about cold smoking cheese or salmon?

Here is a little information about smokin' cheese: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Ontrack

Bigred-from your profile I see you're from Nebraska. I know it's cold there, but it gets pretty cold here in southwest Virginia, too. I started a smoke a few weeks ago (can't even remember what I was smoking, maybe a turkey breast) at about 8 or 9 degrees. I didn't step back outside until the 4 hour mark to change the water, and it was in the 20's by then. I also have the dual probe Maverick, plus I set up my smoker right outside a set of French doors under a covered deck so I can keep my eye on everything. It may take twice as long, but the only thing that will stop me is a blowing rain. And as Oldman said, it would be a heck of a good time to do some cold smoking...

La Quinta

BigRed...to go cold smoke salmon and cheese without going every freakin 10 minutes to make sure the temp is not getting too hot would be sheer bliss!!! Take advantage of that weather son!!! :) Cold is your friend too!!!

bigredsmoker

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was just having a bad day yesterday and feeling a little sorry for myself.  I am getting back on the  horse. Yesterday I went shopping and bought some cheese to smoke as well as some chicken and bacon to do the chicken roll ups. I also have some pork butt waiting, but I think I will hold off on that until this really cold snap passes next week. I am going to try the Habanero cheese and then some Jarlesburg. So far I think the Jarlsburg swiss is my favorite smoked cheese. I may have to buy more cheese since I am smoking anyway I may as well have a full cabinet. I also want to try the canadian bacon I have been reading about. Would this be a good time of year to try doing Jerky??

I still can't wait until spring when I can sit outside and gaurd the smoker with an adult beverage. It will be here soon enough, in the meantime, smoke on!!

Terry

Mr Walleye

Ahhhh..... Thant's the spirit BigRed!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

BigRed,
You were worrying me a little.  I'm in West Ky and it gets plenty cold here too believe it or not.  How's 9 degrees?(Don't start with me Iceman.  For KY, that's cold!)  Fire the Bradley up, season the meat, open an adult beverage, insert meat and enjoy the ride.  Smoke some shrimp, smoke some stuffed chicken breasts, smoke some salmon, smoke some canadian bacon, smoke something.  Don't let the weather discourage you.  You will most likely enjoy the results more because you braved the elements and turned out a great meal.

KyNola   

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: KyNola on January 17, 2008, 06:51:54 PM
open an adult beverage   

Did someone say beverage?   8)

KyNola

Arcs,
Do you have a "beverage" alert on your computer?  ;D  Don't get me wrong, I'm good with it.  Just wish I knew how to install one.  I must also admit what I did and gave you all the credit.  I was in a somewhat tedious meeting yesterday(I'm a banker) and there was a group of folks discussing something that I had no dog in the fight when suddenly someone turned to me and said "what do you think?".  I looked them in the eye and said "I have a friend I've never met and he has a theory.  I remain drinking from a distance."  The laughter was incredible and it actually defused the situation.  Thanks Arc!

KyNola 

Arcs_n_Sparks

KyNola,

I have access to the fastest computers (actually, the fastest) on Earth; they are working for me. They alert on "beverage" and I respond appropriately.  :D

The phrase: "Drinking at a distance" is copyrighted under the Sparkler Unlimited Drink Subsidy (SUDs) Act. It is released under the General Public Liquor License (GPLL), similar to the Linux GPL, but with an extra "L." All board members here have rights to use the phrase, especially if invoked while drinking.   8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

La Quinta

I voted for the SUDs Act...I'm sure I did...last night...and the night before...and last year...yeah...I did! :)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: La Quinta on January 17, 2008, 08:18:53 PM
I voted for the SUDs Act...I'm sure I did...last night...and the night before...and last year...yeah...I did! :)

La Quinta,

Although from So Cal, are your roots near Chicago? Vote early and often??    8)

La Quinta

Nah...it was the "dangling chads" I voted 20 times and got em all counted I think!!! :) :)