"protect from freezing" on shipping instructions

Started by douglas_hunter, January 16, 2008, 05:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

douglas_hunter

Howdy all,

I'm a brand new (excited) owner of the original (non-digital) Bradley Smoker.  My smoker arrived this morning, and I was a little surprised to see the **protect from freezing** delivery instructions on the packing slip.  I understand protecting the unit from water (rain, snow, etc), but I assumed that my Bradley would be hearty enough to winter outside here in Brooklyn, NY.

There wasn't anything in the owners manual about protecting the smoker from freezing, and it explicitly says to operate the smoker outdoors.  I'm assuming that once my cover arrives so I can protect it from moisture that keeping it outside during freezing temperatures is okay.  Am  I wrong?

Thanks,

-- Douglas

Mr Walleye

Hi Douglas and welcome to the forum!

I can't say I have ever heard of that being on the box before. It may have more to do with the fact it's being shipped, ie. jostled around, and they don't want the plastic parts to be broken. That's the only reason I can think of.

As far as storing it outside goes there was another thread recently regarding this. I live in Canada so I have built mine into my heated garage. There are lots of members that store theirs out side, some in sheds and some not. The only thing you may consider, depending on your climate, is if it's real cold you may want to store the smoke generator indoors or at least bring it in to warm up prior to using it. The really cold weather can be hard on the puck advance mechanism when you start from cold. I sure others will chime in here who have a more similar climate.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

Once again Walleye is dead on the money.  My Bradley stays outside on a covered screened in porch with the Bradley cover on it.  The afternoon before I am going to use it the next day, the smoke generator comes inside to warm up.  Learned that the hard way.  Went to use it, it would not advance the pucks at all.  Thankfully I had read a post that said the lubricant on the puck advance mechanism will congeal when exposed to prolong cold and can cause stripping of the teeth on the gear.

Welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes!
KyNola

douglas_hunter

Thanks to you both, those replies make sense.  I didn't think about the lubrication on the moving parts possibly congealing, that's helpful.

Thanks again!

-- Douglas

Habanero Smoker

I live about 90 miles north of Brooklyn, and I leave my smoker out on the deck 24/7 with just a cover. Your overnight and daytime temperatures are much higher then I get.

This morning it was 17 degrees when I started to preheat my smoker. Lately (the past month or so) as a precaution I don't turn on the generator until the cabinet has had time to warmed up some. I had my smoker for 3.5 years and have never had a problem with the gear mechanism in cold weather. Though it's better to be cautious, so storing the generator inside would be the best practice.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Habs,
Not only are you one of the absolute experts on smoking foods, you are a source of just great info.  I continue to be more than impressed with your knowledge.  Bradley could take lessons from you!  Thanks again for being so helpful.

KyNola

HCT

I'm up in northwestern Ct. and keep the box in the garage but bring the generator inside. Haven't had any problems.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

bigredsmoker

I'm in Nebraska, got down to -4 last night and I bring my generator in after every smoke. I bought a plastic tote that I put it and my racks in for storage. I found that the generator does have a strong smoke smell to it and was "stinking up the basement" (my wife talking not me). So that is why it is kept in the tote.

Terry