Adding TQ or Cure #1 to Turkey leg brine

Started by FLBentRider, January 26, 2008, 05:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

I usually brine my turkey legs before smoking. I was wondering what effect adding a nirtrite cure to the brine would have.
Would it make the Turkey leg taste more "Ham like" ??
Has anyone tried this ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

Nitrite will change the flavor but I have never done that on a turkey so can't comment on what flavor it would give.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Bad Flynch

Since cure #1 contains Sodium Nitrite and TQ contains Sodium Nitrite (and Sodium Nitrate), either will do just fine. Simply adjust the quantities according to the manufacturer's directions. However the following is true:

Cure #1 is only salt and Sodim Nitrite <1%

TQ is Salt ~80%, Sugar ~20%, Nitrate and Nitrite <1%, and Propylene Glygol to keep the mixture flowing as a powder. I know that does not add up, but it is close enough and I don't have the numbers handy.

So, if you do the math, you will see that there are some adjustments to be made when going from one to the other.

I have used both for years and each works well.
B.F.

Habanero Smoker

Nitrite will give it a more ham like flavor, the ham like taste is a distinct flavor of nitrite. If you buy smoked turkey wings from a super market, 99% of the time they are cured with a nitrite and they have a similar taste of ham.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

Ditto on Habs reply. A friend of mine brines cases of turkey legs, smoke cooks them then sells them at flea markets, fairs and other places where large crowds gather. I know he puts TQ and brown sugar in his brines. The legs do taste like ham. I have actually bought a couple from him and put into scalloped potatoes instead of ham.

FLBentRider

Thanks. So MTQ is a mixture of Salt, Cure #1, Cure#2 and Sugar? Seems like it would be more flexibile to buy the cures and "roll your own". Would you need to add anything else to it, or just make sure you mix it well ?

Now for the task of finding the cure. I can't seem to find anyone in south florida that carrries it. Ordering a package of MTQ for under $5 and paying $7 to $13 to ship it causes "policy" issues. I ususually "bulk up" an order with some bisquettes, but I have a surplus right now.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!