Finished the pork butt (Pics)!

Started by bullsi1911, January 27, 2008, 07:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullsi1911

Here is my first attempt at pulled pork.  It was not as tender as I wanted, but I am pretty sure I know what I need to do for that.  Probably the apple juice spay and a longer FTC time.  I only went 1 hour on the FTC because we were starving.
7.12lbs bone-in Pork butt from the local mass market grocery

Did the rub that is listed here: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86

Ready for the smoker after 24 hours in the fridge:

And here is the dog wondering what that really good smell is:

As you can see, the timer had turned off at this point.  That caused a scramble because the meat was within a few degrees of 'done' when it happened.

After FTC:

Pulled:

I used Hab's vinegar sauce recipe, with the addition of ketchup as suggested by MoSmoke.  The pulled pork sandwiches turned out awesome. 

Thank you everyone that voted, and helped me out on the other threads.  All the help is greatly appreciated!

MoSmoke

Bullsi1911,

Hey that looks awesome.
I usually take mine to a internal temp of 195 and FTC for at least two hours or as long as necessary to hold until the party begins. Wrapped up good the hold the temp for a real long time.
What was your total cook time.......curious because I've always cooked a pair of porkbutts.
I've never added anything before FTC but pour the vinegar sauce to it as I pulled it.
Then add more on the sandwich.

Once again, it looks great.
Nice job.

John

The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

bullsi1911

I smoked it for a total of 10 hours or so, to an internal temp of 175.  I thought about going to 180, but with my grilling experience I thought higher temps meant tougher meat.

Is that different for smokers?

Buck36

The pork looks delicious! I usually take the pork butts up to 185-190. The temperature you take it up to and how gentle you get it there seem to determine the tenderness.

FTC doesn't make a huge difference for pulled pork in my opinion. I use it for timing dinner more than anything else. Brisket or other cuts the FTC lets the meat rest and you don't lose all the juice when you cut into it. The pulled pork sits in the juice so if you don't FTC nothing is lost.

Wildcat

Nice job!

I tend to agree with Buck36.  I try to find one with a nice fat cap (half to three-quarter inch thick), cook at box temp of 210 or less until meat temp is between 175 and 190.  You can take to 190 without any problem, just get there slowly and then let it rest, or even FTC, for at least an hour.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

drano

Looks great!
Yep, like others say, leave it on the smoker to 185-190 deg internal temp.  Then FTC.
Once I started going to the higher temps, my pork butts have been much better.

Get smokin

Drano

SKSmoker

bullsi - there is a ton of info out there on what bbq is, internal temps of meats for bbq, etc. Smoking/bbq takes all normal cooking guidelines and throws them out the window. Pork Butt is usually taken to 195F for pulling, lower for chopping. Personally, I take mine to 205, and it is melty soft. The higher the temp you take it, the more fat and tissue you render out into the meat. These cuts of meat we use for bbq are some of the ugliest and nastiest meats that normal cooking wouldn't ever use <typically>.

Here are some guidelines. Everyone will have their own temp, but typically:

Pork Butt: 195F
Brisket: 195F - measured in the FLAT <very important not to measure in the POINT. Measure about 1/2 way down the flat, and 3" into the flat>
Chuck Roast <pulled beef>: 195
Ribs: Can't really get a temp for ribs, but the pullback on the bone should be 1/4" to 1/2" and if you pick them up in the middle, both ends should fold almost all the way down without breaking the meat in the middle
Chicken: Cook as normal for temperature. 160F in breast, 170F in thigh, or when thigh wiggles freely.

I hope these guidlines help.
Lead by example

NePaSmoKer

bullsi

your right on the mark. Looks fantastic.

nepas

HCT

Looking good and now I'm hungry. :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

iceman

Man o man. How come I always come across pictures like Bullsi when I'm stuck at work.  >:( :D
Dang good looking vittles!!!

SmokinHotMama

I hear ya Iceman....  WTG Bull!  It looks awesome!!
Life is too short...  Nothing but FUN!

brotheryyy

Ive been having great success with the overnight butt smoke. I did one last night ,pulled this morning. @220 for also 10 ish hours. I wake up just in time to reset it after 9:40 expires. I also wrap it at that point. This morning my kids wanted to know where the bacon was? Sorry kids,/want some smoked pork?

coyote

Looking very tastey indeed. Good work on the pulled pork 8) and welcome aboard to the good life.

Coyote

LilSmoker

Fantastic job on the pork!, great pics also, lots of drooling over here

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

westernhunter

When you BBQ (slow and low) tough cuts of meat (butts and briskets), the goal is to dissolve the collagen fibers that hold the meat together.  That is why you need to slowly take the temp up to the 190 degree area.  At that point, even though you "overcooked" the meat, it will be fall-apart tender since you have dissolved the material that is making it tough.

The science behind the art of bbq.......
If we are not supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat??