• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

vacuum sealer and smoked cheese question?

Started by SmokinHotPapa, January 29, 2008, 12:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinHotPapa

hey gang, the pork tenderloin turned out great and the cheese looks good too but i do have a question, after i smoked the cheese i vacuum sealed with a food saver is that ok or should i just use zip lock seal bags, was'ent sure if it made  a diff or not? Also how long do you all usually smoke your cheese, I did mine and after an hour it just did'ent look smoked enough so I let it go for another 2 hours for a total of 3 hours, will that be to much smoke, will it taste like crap? :'( Any insight would be much appreciated thanx!

bigredsmoker

Hey Papa, I vacuum sealed all of mine based on suggestions from the board. My first batch I smoked for 2 hours and my second may have been more like 2.5. The first batch came out very good after the rest period. The second batch is still resting until Super bowl Sunday. Will post results then. I think you're fine on the vacuum seal part.

Terry

iceman

bigred is spot on. Not a thing wrong with vacum sealing the cheese. MOF it will keep longer that way.
What time are the appetizers being served?  ;D

pensrock

I see no problem with vacuum sealing right away or zip lock for a week or so. I've done both and tasted no differance. As far as smoking times, it varies for me depending on the cheese. Swiss seems to smoke very quickly often less than two hours. Cheddars, american and horseradish I smoke three to four hours. I go by the look of the cheese, if it has a nice tan color. I think your cheese will be great, just try to stay away from it for a week or so.

bigredsmoker

4:30 Ice...come on down, the more the merrier. I wil only charge ya a few bottles of sauce for admission ;) ;D

SmokinHotPapa

thanx guys i just was'ent sure, but i will make sure that when i do break them open that there will be plenty of cold refreshments on hand to quench our thirst's, and you are all invited because after we eat were gonna make some ranch sausage, I have been wanting to  make that for some time now and i will let you all know how it turns out for sure!