• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cheese

Started by Meta, January 30, 2008, 04:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meta

Hi I am new here, Haven't used my smoker yet can you cold smoke cheese with ice in the unit without using the box method, and if you do use the box method does the sensor lead need to be attached for it to smoke?

I noticed on the bradley Uk website they mention longer sensor lead that is not mentioned here as well a s cold smoker attachment comming.

From the Bradley uk website:

Cold Smoking with the Digital Smokers, is as perfectly possible as it is with the other models. We offer specific advice on how to achieve the low temperatures required for cold smoking at this page. In the case of the digital smoke generator, even when cold smoking, the temperature sensor lead needs to remain connected between the cabinet and the generator. In the UK we offer, as an accessory, a sensor lead 1.7 metres in length. This provides plenty of length to separate the generator from the cabinet. 

This complication will eventually be designed out of the digital smokers by the inclusion of a 'closed loop' attachment as part of the equipment.

However, soon to be launched will be a tailor made Bradley Smoker Cold Smoking attachment - watch this space.

Tiny Tim

I've only done one "cold smoke", but it was on a 75-80 degree evening with no extra box, just a tray of ice under the food, and I was able to keep under 100 degrees in the box for the hour I had it in there...don't know how much longer I could have gone, but there was still ice in the tray.

On the sensor cable, I'd say since the source you quoted says it has to be, it has to be, but I don't have any actual experience with the Digital Smokers.......yet (I've sold one, but have not used one).

Mr Walleye

Hi Meta and welcome to the forum!

On the DBS the sensor wire does have to be plugged in to get the smoke generator to work and this is why a lot of members extend this wire or buy an extended version of it. You don't have to have the main power wire from the generator to the tower plugged in unless you want heat from the main heating element, of course if you are cold smoking you would just leave this unplugged.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

MoSmoke

Not owning a DBS, I would speculate that you need the longer wire to put the generator in a remote box and be able to leave the generator connected to the tower.

John
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".

Ontrack

Welcome to the forum, Meta. I do as much cold smoking this time of year as I do hot smoking. As noted above, the longer wire is only required when using the generator on an "offset" box or similar apparatus, which I don't use. I try to pick a cold morning or evening, and still fill the water bowl full of ice, as well as adding a big ziploc bag full of ice and placing it on an empty rack. This should be good for a couple of hours of cold smoke with no problems. During a warmer time, the door may have to be cracked occasionally to let some heat escape. If I do this, I usually add another puck to make up for the smoke that I feel like I lost out the door, although it's just a quirk of mine and certainly not necessary.

Meta

Gizmo

For the US and those with access to Radio Shack, here is a link to the informantion from West Coast Kansan.  I have this cord and I leave it connected all the time so when I cold smoke, the gen comes off and the cord reaches with no problem.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3263.msg37059#msg37059
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Just a tip for those who cold smoke cheese, bacon or any food that is relatively dry and the heating element is not used: to improve the smoke circulation remove the drip shelf ("V" shelf) for better smoke circulation.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MoSmoke

Great idea Habs..........
Thanks.

John
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".