Need everyones help on a PID problem

Started by iceman, February 04, 2008, 09:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

I'm perfectly content with a +/- 1 degree swing off of set temp.  The only thing I need now is an accurate probe.  The Maverick is only off by no more than 3 degrees below actual temp IMHO and it reflects 10 to 11 degrees lower than the PID.  I will get some input from Ice later regarding that.  Thanks a lot for all of your input and to the rest of you guys that helped as well.  Sorry about you taking off of work TT.  That was beyond the call of duty.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

WildCat

I said earlier that there was one other setting that I had changed and I'm home now so here it is.

It's called the "Cycle Time". The display shows the "t" for Cycle Time. You can set this to "0". This number represents the speed at which the output is turned on and off. Setting the Cycle Time lower increases the performance and accuracy. It does have to be hooked to an SSR and not a mechanical relay to do this (ours, meaning yours and mine have a SSR so we can increase the Cycle Time).

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Quote from: pensrock on February 04, 2008, 05:55:29 PM
Your within two-three degrees now. It may get even better with another tuning but I would write down the numbers before changing anything. Some controllers will allow you to enter an offset to make the controller match what the maverick reads, I'm not familiar with the Auber so I do not know if you can offset it. I'm happy it looks like it is working now for you. The dog is probably happy too!

Auber does have an offset setting. It's setting in the menu is "Pb" in the menu and it will allow both positive and negative numbers. Although the directions say this is rarely adjusted. Certainly if your PID maintains a temperature but is consistently out by the same number of degrees, by all means adjust it.

Mike

Wildcat

Thanks Mike.  I will give both of these a try before Pat gets back home.  I am slowly begining to understand how to run this electronic gadget.  As I have stated in the past, I am a complete idiot when it comes to electronics.  Even if I can not improve on what I already have, it is much better than the slider control.  Much less monitoring.  Will not let the wife know this though.  ;D

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Wildcat on February 04, 2008, 06:31:42 PM
Even if I can not improve on what I already have, it is much better than the slider control.  Much less monitoring.  Will not let the wife know this though.  ;D

This is approaching classified information. Any notion that you will not be exerting yourself (and passing by the adult beverage refrigerator) while constantly tending the beast must be tightly held.   :o

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Wildcat on February 04, 2008, 06:02:22 PM
I'm perfectly content with a +/- 1 degree swing off of set temp.  The only thing I need now is an accurate probe.  The Maverick is only off by no more than 3 degrees below actual temp IMHO and it reflects 10 to 11 degrees lower than the PID.  I will get some input from Ice later regarding that.  Thanks a lot for all of your input and to the rest of you guys that helped as well.  Sorry about you taking off of work TT.  That was beyond the call of duty.

No problem, bud...like I said, I had something else to take care of at home anyway.  Just happy to see that you've got it figured out now.

iceman

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on February 04, 2008, 06:35:59 PM
Even if I can not improve on what I already have, it is much better than the slider control.  Much less monitoring.  Will not let the wife know this though.  ;D

This is approaching classified information. Any notion that you will not be exerting yourself (and passing by the adult beverage refrigerator) while constantly tending the beast must be tightly held.   :o

Arcs, I for one will be monitoring (and drinking) from a distance to keep security tight on this subject. We must stand together and keep the ease of the PID a secret.
Ya hear tha La Quinta? No spilling the beans to Ann. LOL  :D ;)

Tiny Tim

Quote from: iceman on February 05, 2008, 02:06:42 PM
Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on February 04, 2008, 06:35:59 PM

Arcs, I for one will be monitoring (and drinking) from a distance to keep security tight on this subject. We must stand together and keep the ease of the PID a secret.
Ya hear tha La Quinta? No spilling the beans to Ann. LOL  :D ;)

Spilling the beans shall result in a loss of carrots.........wait a minute..that could be very costly for whomever tries to repossess the carrots......forget I said anything.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Quote from: Mr Walleye on February 04, 2008, 06:03:17 PM
WildCat

I said earlier that there was one other setting that I had changed and I'm home now so here it is.

It's called the "Cycle Time". The display shows the "t" for Cycle Time. You can set this to "0". This number represents the speed at which the output is turned on and off. Setting the Cycle Time lower increases the performance and accuracy. It does have to be hooked to an SSR and not a mechanical relay to do this (ours, meaning yours and mine have a SSR so we can increase the Cycle Time).

Mike

I just did this.  It was set at 12 and it is now on 0.  I will monitor and see if it makes any difference.

Wildcat

Auber does have an offset setting. It's setting in the menu is "Pb" in the menu and it will allow both positive and negative numbers. Although the directions say this is rarely adjusted. Certainly if your PID maintains a temperature but is consistently out by the same number of degrees, by all means adjust it.

Mike
[/quote]

Mike - I tried this but can't tell if it made any difference since neither the set temp nor the actual temp numbers changed.  It was set at 0.0 and then I set it at -12.  I put it back at the original setting until I got more input from you.

At the present time, in order to maintain a 205 F cabinet temp, I have to set the PID temp at 217.

Mr Walleye

WildCat

I have never played with the temperature offset before but from what I read in the manual I would think that is correct to use a setting of -12 based on your numbers. When you had it set that way did you see your temps change?

Is your PID holding temps without the swings you were encountering earlier?

Mike

Wildcat

Quote from: Mr Walleye on February 07, 2008, 05:37:24 PM
WildCat

I have never played with the temperature offset before but from what I read in the manual I would think that is correct to use a setting of -12 based on your numbers. When you had it set that way did you see your temps change?

Is your PID holding temps without the swings you were encountering earlier?

Mike

At -12 the read out set and probed temp remained the same.  I did not let it stay there since it did not change anything until I talked with you.

After fooling with everything, my temp swings went to +/- 2 degrees.  Currently doing another auto tune to try and get back to the +/- 1 degree.

Wildcat

Quote from: Wildcat on February 07, 2008, 04:19:14 PM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on February 04, 2008, 06:03:17 PM
WildCat

Mike

I just did this.  It was set at 12 and it is now on 0.  I will monitor and see if it makes any difference.

After another auto tune, my temp read 169 vice the 214 I have it set at.  Changed it back to 12 and now I fluctuate +/- 2 degrees from the 214 F.  May even do another autotune.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Wildcat,

Let me know what your final PID numbers are, and I will post with the rest.

Arcs_n_Sparks