Smoker

Started by deadeye, November 20, 2004, 09:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadeye

Correct me if I am wrong but I can use this BS just like an ELectric smoker without smoking anything.. The only thing I would like to smoke with this thing are maybe a brisket but definetly some deer jerky!!!!!!!! and Deer sausage!!!!!!!!!!! I can do that right

nsxbill

Yes, you can just cook with electricity like a low temp oven.  You just have to have bisquettes in to add smoke.  You don't smoke the entire time, just enough to impart a flavor.  I believe you can add smoke up to 140°, but after that you are wasting bisquettes, as the meat has all it can handle.  The little heater that makes the bisquettes smoke gives off heat for the entire time the meat is in the smoker, unless it is shut off.  

Many of us use Bubba pucks.  They are aluminum rounds the same size as the bisquettes.  I put the Bubba pucks on top of the feeding tube after filling with number of bisquettes used to smoke, and on top of that one more puck.  The smoking finishes but the smoking mechanism keeps pushing pucks forward every 20 min.  The last puck pushes the two aluminum ones forward, one on the heating element and the other behind it.  After that it just stay hot because no more pucks in the magazine.  

Most of us set the time by the number of pucks...Each one burns for 20 minutes, then is pushed into the water bowl as the next one is advanced to the burner.  

For instance, I do brisket with 4 hrs exposure to smoke.  That is 12 pucks.  I usually come back once to dump the water and refill the water bowl with preheated water.  I might rotate the racks then to insure even cooking.  

The the Brisket is then left to cook for another 10 hours with no smoke, just low heat - I use 205 degrees.  Most have external temp sensors for the cabinet and a probe in the meat to determine internal temp.  After 14 hours in the Bradley...internal meat temp 185°...I remove from the cabinet, wrap in foil then in old towel and a 2-3 hour resting period in a Coleman cooler all wrapped up and the lid closed.  My Guru controller won't allow the meat cabinet to exceed the temp(+/- 2°.  Very accurate without me fiddling with the external heat control.  I just have it on high all the time and the controller does the rest, and tells me when the meat is done with an alarm.

Hard to overcook when you keep the temps low!  The resting period breaks down the collagen and fibers and makes the meat like butter.  A very important step I learned from the crew on this website!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

deadeye

Thanks Bill you have been so helpful.