Future Bradley Newb

Started by Bravo181, February 06, 2008, 08:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bravo181

I'm stuck over in Iraq right now and have been glued to this forum for about a month now reading about all the different recipes and admiring the pictures of perfect pulled pork and brisket. So I am already sold on a Bradley, Raptor, DigiQII combo. I figure the Raptor/DigiQII will give me peace of mind when I'm smoking to give the "set it and forget it" feel. On the Bradley side I need some advice with using the Raptor/DigiQII with either an OBS or DBS. Just looking to figure out the the pros and cons of both... Oh, and any advice on what to smoke first? I am going crazy thinking about pulled pork and brisket. Maybe I'll just have to try both at the same time. 
D Co. 1-181 Infantry (Light)
Baghdad, Iraq

Proud P.E.T.A. member and supporter!!!
People Eating Tasty Animals

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  As far as first smoke, I would recommend the pulled pork.  Although it takes a little time to smoke/cook, it is exceptionally easy and the results will definately boost confidence levels.  Keep it safe over their.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Hi Bravo181 and welcome to the forum.

I second WildCat... Can't go wrong with pulled pork!  ;)

Take care over there!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

I'd do the pork first just to get used to the plateau times and such. Very forgiving piece of meat to practice on. PID or Raptor is a good idea for long smokes.
Like Wildcat and Walleye said keep it safe and get yer behind back over here to this side of the world.
Take care Bravo181
Pat and Ann

Bravo181

Well thanks for the support and I'll be out of this mess earlier than planned. Newest member of the disabled veteran club here, nothing too serious but enough to get me sent out of country. I'll have a full recovery in about 4 months and everything should be like new again. So lately I've had plenty of time to do a little research on what looks like my newest hobby when I go home. I was thinking maybe a digital 6 rack for the extra room. I work as a full time Firefighter when I'm home and work in a house with 16 other Firefighters. I'm sure they would appreciate the extra space as well. Is it more difficult to adjust using a Raptor / DigiQII with the Digital Bradley? And any recommendations on where to order Bradley's accessories? Thanks for all the help. Just from reading all the posts I love how helpful everyone is. This place is like a free encyclopedia for all smoked foods. Can't wait to post up my first "OMG I need last minute help" topic. I must have read half a dozen of those already and I swear it's like watching a TV series. And I promise to put up pics of my first smoke.
Baghdad, Iraq

Habanero Smoker

Hi Bravo181;

First thank you for serving our country, and welcome to the forum.

I have the Raptor/DigiQ II with the OBS, but I don't think there would be any more difficulty in using it with the digital. Unless you need the 6 shelf, there is no reason to get the 4 shelf digital if you are planning on purchasing the Raptor/DigiQ II, so use the money you will save and put that towards the temperature control device; unless you need to have the smoke generator turn off after a certain amount of hours; which is a feature of the digital.

Here is a good thread that discusses the DigiQ II.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5859.0

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bounder

Hello Bravo181,

Sorry i can't be much yet...i have not received my BDS as it was damaged upon receipt, still waiting for second one.  I too have been all I can & can't wait to get started.

I just wanted to say welcome as well & a BIG THANKS for serving our country!

Tiny Tim

Welcome Bravo, and thank you for your service.

To answer your question on where to buy your accessories, both Begolf25 ( and myself ([url]http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa]http://www.yardandpool.com[url] and myself ([url]http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa are independent Bradley Dealers.  Bryan (Begolf) may have more inventory on hand than I do, I'm not sure...I just know that I'm working on building mine up.

Gizmo

Welcome Bravo181.
The folks here have pretty much taken care of your questions so I'll just add my thanks to for your service and sacrifice.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Hey Bravo...come home safe...thank you for what you do for us and thank your buddies. Life would not be the same for us here if it weren't for you guys and gals protecting our values and freedom.

jcdav00

First, thanks for your military service.  Second on your first smoke I like brisket myself, but pulled pork is another good choice.  So you can not go wrong with either.  On your other question of parts and accessories there is a link under the topic "door seal loose/Box temp issues" that has almost everything you need for your Bradley.  The link is for www.yardandpool.com, but the link will send you directly to the page needed.  Hope this helps.  Be safe, come home soon.
Bob loves smokin'

Bravo181

After a little debating with myself I think I am going to get the OBS with Raptor / DigiQII for the significantly less amount of $$$. For the first smoke I will try my hand at pulled pork and ABTs complimented with Wachusett's Country Ale. I came across in the forums somewhere of a rumor that a new Raptor may be coming out. Anyone have any news on that? Thanks again for all the help and support.
Baghdad, Iraq

Habanero Smoker

I haven't heard any more news on that. The new Raptor will be molded out of anodized aluminum and come in an assortment of colors (same color choice of the DigiQ). I would give them a call, you may get lucky, they may already be in stock, and they are just waiting to sell out their current inventory before offering them to the public.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Hey Bravo181 Welcome

Your making a great choice in smokers.

Also want to thank you for your service. I have 2 sons in the Army. One is home now. 82nd Airborne SF

The other is on his 2nd tour in Iraq. 82nd Airborne 254th PIR

nepas

Kane

Hey Bravo,

thanks for your service!

Im new to Bradley smokers as well. I bought a DBS and DigiQ/Raptor. I wish I wouldve just went with the OBS and I suggest that to you. save the extra $$$ and put it towards the DigiQ.