Brisket

Started by nodak, February 17, 2008, 12:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nodak

I put a brisket(2pieces flat and point) in @ 4:30pm yesterday smoked 4 hrs @ 160F turned up to 190F at 9:30pm, At 11:00pm I put in tinfoil pan With 3/4" of AuJus and covered with tinfoil turned up to 200F.  At 10:00am turned up to 220F.and rotated racks. Bottom one @153F and Bottom @168F.  At 1:00pm I noticed what was the bottom one now the top had dropped to 160F I assuming the big pans are cutting air flow off, So moved one to a small oven and turned both smoker and  oven to 220F.  Hoping both are done at 6:00pm. AT 2:30 one at 177F other at 166F.  Could be little or no FTC.  Worried that maybe I should uncover them with that much moisture in the pan or should I leave them covered??????  Ant thoughts????

Thanks Nodak

West Coast Kansan

Right now I would stay the path your on.  The hard part is about over.  Another couple of hours and your likely to feel better about it.   ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Ontrack

Nodak-It seems as though you may be over-complicating things. Try smoking/cooking at 200-210 until you reach an IT of 190, then FTC. Simple as that. :)

nodak

RESULTS
Well I took one out at 5:30pm it was 181F and ate no time for FTC, wsn't too bad not as tender as I would of liked, good flavor.  Glad the other three people we invited for supper couldn't make it.

Took other one out Monday morning at 7:00am was 185F FTC until noon and was delicious, very satisfied with this one.  Tender and Moist.  Guess I better figure 36-48 hours to get done next time w/FTC.  These were about 4 and 6 pounds.  I think boating with aujus was a great idea to help with moisture.

Thanks,
Nodak

West Coast Kansan

i am surprised by the length of time. they were not that big at 4 and 6. Interesting huh.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Nodak,
Were you using an external thermometer to measure the cabinet teperature?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Ontrack

nodak-what were your outdoor temps? I usually try to find a 7-9 lb brisket, and it has never taken more than 12 hours to finish a brisket to 190, usually less than that. I cook at 200-210, and have done them with outdoor temps in the mid 20's. As WCK stated, I am kind of confused by the long cooking times for these small briskets.

nodak

I used an external temp plus PID temp and a different probe in each.  Temp was 10-30F.  When I tried brisket once before it was about 20 Hours.  I couldn't believe the time it took either.  It was from a lean bread of cattle but had good marbling and little fat on top, Nothing  too major.

Nodak

Ontrack

Puzzling, nodak. Your outdoor temps were pretty low, but I still can't figure out why briskets that small took so long to cook. Your first 7-8 hours were a lot lower than I do mine (200-210), but that still doesn't make up the difference in cooking times. Did you open the door alot while smoking? Was it really windy outside? I'm just trying to come up with something here to help you out. I have a brisket ordered to pick up on Friday (asked for 8 lb) and smoke on Saturday, but our temps are suposed to be in the low 50s. I'm sure there is somebody on here that can help you out, but I've never run into your problem.

nodak

I am puzzled too.  only opened door after smoke to empty bowl and boat, than rotate once, than to take the one out.  wind less than 5-12MPH when I check back at hourly report, but was out of the wind protected on 3 sides.  I know my oven temp didn't go out cuz I set the alarm on my maverick.

Nodak

Ontrack

Sounds like you had all the bases covered, nodak. I sure wish there was any easy answer to give you. Have your other smokes on the Bradley finished in a "reasonable" amount of time?

Toker

hi everyone i have a question for you if you can answer it,  i bought my bradley 2 weeks ago and now its montreal smoked meat time!! My question is when you cook it do i have to smoke the intire time eventhough it takes several hours exemple 10 hours or do i have to stop smoke after 4 hours?

I heard some where that the meat doesnt take (absorbs) any smoke after 4 hours (any smoke after 4 hours is useless) is it true?

thx in advance

toker1313

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: toker1313 on March 21, 2008, 05:37:30 PM
hi everyone i have a question for you if you can answer it,  i bought my bradley 2 weeks ago and now its montreal smoked meat time!! My question is when you cook it do i have to smoke the intire time eventhough it takes several hours exemple 10 hours or do i have to stop smoke after 4 hours?

I heard some where that the meat doesnt take (absorbs) any smoke after 4 hours (any smoke after 4 hours is useless) is it true?

thx in advance

toker1313

toker   ;D

Most of us only use 6 to 8 pucks = 2 hrs 40 mins of smoke then just heat in the smoker. If you were to smoke 10 hrs you could sell your briskit as fossilized meat  ;D  :D or give it to sparkler to send it thru a worm hole to cookshack for a display briskit  :D  :D

But anyways just do 6/8 pucks for smoke

nepas

Toker

Gizmo

I'll do 4 hours on brisket, pork butts, and ocassionally on ribs.  Most every thing else will be less, unless doing a heavy double or triple smoke on pork belly (bacon) and that would be done in multiple stages.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/