• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Prok done too soon - need advice please 3:32 p.m.

Started by weekendsmoker, February 18, 2008, 12:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekendsmoker

Hi, I did two small shoulder chunks and expected them to be done close to 4:00 to then be FTC'd until 6:30 dinner.  Well, they were done at 1:00 with an internal temp of 194.  I have it in FTC mode now but think by 6:00 it will be too cool to serve.  What temp should I put the oven at to warm it up?  Any ideas so I don't dry it out?  It will have been FTC'ing for 5 hrs by that time, thanks I really appreciate it.

This happened because I just bought a new Maverick internal box therm. last night and used it for the first time.  My DBS had been about 20 degrees cooler than expected for the past few roasts and that's why they took longer obviously.  With the temp right on 220, it cooked much quicker and tastes fantastic.

Thanks,

Jason.

Tiny Tim

I think you'll be fine letting it FTC for 5ish hours, but you might want to check it at 5:30, and if needed, dump a little Apple Juice or a thin BBQ sauce on it and reheat in a low heat oven (shouldn't take much anyway).

FLBentRider

I have FTC's for over four hours and it was still too hot to pull by hand.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

I'm with Tim and Rider on this one.  You should have nice warm shoulder to serve.  Tell us how it went!!

KyNola

weekendsmoker

You were all right and thanks.  5 hrs and it was still really hot.  I put hot water in the cooler, put both roasts in a bucket with towls all packed in and they were great.  Slight panic for nothing.

Good smokin'.

Jason.

car54

I know the slight panic. I believe that smoking meat is very forgiving. I am not sure of fish because I have not done much. FTC for 5 hours is no problem. As I get more experienced, I just let every thing take the course that the meat decides(i do not panic).

Brad