• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Backpacking Foods

Started by Payson, March 04, 2008, 02:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payson

Hey,
Does anyone make food for backpacking on the Bradley other than the obvious jerky? I'm thinking about using it as a smoke infused dehydrator. Dry some cubes of beef and basically make lightweight food for hiking. Add some dried veggies, noodles, whatever and reconstitute it much like freeze-dried food. Thoughts? Tips?
Thanks!

bullhead

Payson
What we do for canoeing and backpacking is we cook the meat first, then into the dehydrator. This should work with smoked food as well. We use Nalgene water bottles to rehydrate or food. On hamburger it takes about 30mn. eggs take longer.When useing water bottles have some soley for food and use a couple of drops of bleach after each use to kill the nasties. Where are you backpacking at?

Habanero Smoker

You should take a good look in the Vegetable, Cheese section. There are many threads on drying nuts, pumpkin seeds, peppers and tomatoes. After reading some of those threads you will learn the techniques that others have used, and you can apply them to what you want to smoke/dry in the Bradley. If you are going to use the smoker as a dehydrator keep in mind, even if you do not apply smoke, if you dry foods in the cabinet it still will have a slight taste of smoke.

Member; Jaeger started a thread on dried beef that may also be useful. I don't have time to look for it now, but if you go to the members list, you can go through his post and you will locate it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Payson

Thanks Bullhead & Habanero Smoker!
Bullhead, I'm going to Cumberland Island off the coast of Georgia. From what I hear it's pristine and spectacular! Full of wildlife including feral horses. Weight is not too much of a consideration since it's pretty flat but we do plan on kiking about 10.5 miles the first day so I figured I better see if I can shave off a few pounds at least! Pre-cooking and then drying sounds like a plan!

Mr Walleye

Paysen

I can't say I've tried any of these but here is a link to a number of dried foods.

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/DehydratingMenu.htm

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 05, 2008, 06:05:46 AM
Paysen

I can't say I've tried any of these but here is a link to a number of dried foods.

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/DehydratingMenu.htm

Mike

Good site to check out Walleye. Thanks for posting that.

coyote

Great site Mike....Thanks

Coyote

Mr Walleye

Thanks Guys

They also have a pretty good sausage section as well. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes