A Thursday Briskit

Started by NePaSmoKer, March 12, 2008, 05:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

begolf25

Great lookin grub as usual NePa!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Ontrack on March 13, 2008, 02:43:53 PM
My gosh nepas-that looks delicious! What was your IT when you pulled it? Was it as tender as it looks? I've been taking my briskets to 190-195 lately, the last one was falling apart tender and moist. I would like to hit one falling apart tender and JUICY. I have never boated, I just spritz every hour after the smoke is done. I also cook start to finish in the DBS. Our oven is a two door thing (which I probably couldn't even turn on), with the regular oven on the bottom and a smaller convection oven on top. I'm not sure, but I don't think it has a temp probe, so I just go DBS all the way. But, as always, I am very open to suggestions. ;)

The IT of the meat was at 165 when i took it out. I too did it all in the smoker. I think what made this one so juicy is that i trimmed the fat cap way back which made the remaining fat seep down into the meat better. I also spritz it a bit with beef broth mixed with a small amount of Ancho powder. The briskit started to shred as i was cutting it, even my wife said it was pretty good and not as smokey (she aint very big on smoke like i am  ;D )

nepas

Ontrack

Thanks nepas-your recipe is my next brisket! :)

Ontrack

Nepas-I have a 13 pounder rubbed, injected and ready to go for Friday morning. Probably trimmed down to 11 pounds or so. I'm planning on following your 165, pull and ftc. This is about 25-30 degrees less than I've ever done a brisket before. Of course, I had to cut it in half to it the racks. Any changes you'd make from your last brisket? I'm going with your last brisket post unless I hear differently from YOU! I'm shooting for a 6am start, but that may depend on the beverage total from tonight. Arcs, there's your word! ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Ontrack on March 20, 2008, 07:34:35 PM
Nepas-I have a 13 pounder rubbed, injected and ready to go for Friday morning. Probably trimmed down to 11 pounds or so. I'm planning on following your 165, pull and ftc. This is about 25-30 degrees less than I've ever done a brisket before. Of course, I had to cut it in half to it the racks. Any changes you'd make from your last brisket? I'm going with your last brisket post unless I hear differently from YOU! I'm shooting for a 6am start, but that may depend on the beverage total from tonight. Arcs, there's your word! ;D

Ontrack

you should have no prob. I had to bump up the heat some cuz it was kinda cool out.
Let me know how it turns out.

nepas

Smoked

Hey nepas-- awesome looking brisket!    What rub recipe are you using-- or is it something you developed on your own?

Thanks--

Ed

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smoked on March 20, 2008, 08:14:54 PM
Hey nepas-- awesome looking brisket!    What rub recipe are you using-- or is it something you developed on your own?

Thanks--

Ed

Hi Ed

Its a rub i made on my own. When i find the recipe i will post it.

nepas

Ontrack

Nepas-should be in the upper 30s when I get that beast on, mid 60s in the afternoon. Gonna mow the 5 acres (for the first time this year) and smoke tomorrow at the same time, hopefully Friday's pounding  :-X head won't slow down my plans. Whatever, gotta do it, I just hate to spend $20 for gas to mow a freakin' yard. That should be smokin' and drinkin' money! :D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Ontrack on March 20, 2008, 08:37:15 PM
Nepas-should be in the upper 30s when I get that beast on, mid 60s in the afternoon. Gonna mow the 5 acres (for the first time this year) and smoke tomorrow at the same time, hopefully Friday's pounding  :-X head won't slow down my plans. Whatever, gotta do it, I just hate to spend $20 for gas to mow a freakin' yard. That should be smokin' and drinkin' money! :D

Thats way too much mowin for me....ahhh heck have another shot of jack  :o
let me know how your briskit turns out.

nepas

Ontrack

It's been in the smoker since 7am, IT right now of 128. Still looking at this freakin' yard and dreading it. :P

hotrod

-7C and the smoker is goin  just a question?? still leave the damper wide open with jerky when this cold?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: hotrod on March 21, 2008, 08:41:27 AM
-7C and the smoker is goin  just a question?? still leave the damper wide open with jerky when this cold?

Right, full open and no water in the pan. You want all the moisture out when doing jerky.

nepas

hotrod

thanks nepa thats how i have it its runnin on a bout 125 smoken to beat 60 im sure this ones going to be even better ya i will get ya a sample... picture anyhow.... bottoms up its NOON !!! time to break in the liver the next month its going to take a kickn!!!  cheers to all those that help all of us that need it ... pours a round of Jack..right out of the freezer cheers

hotrod

NePaSmoKer

hotrod

hows the briskit goin?

nepas

Ontrack

Nepas-thanks. I've done a bunch of briskets since I've had the DBS, but you walked me through the best I've ever had. :)