• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Can a Smoker be used also for a thawing???

Started by Pheasant Hollow Farm, March 18, 2008, 11:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pheasant Hollow Farm

Can a Smoker be used also for a thawing???

If an item to is to be smoked, either Meat, Poultry, Fish, or Wild Game either Bird or Animal, that has been frozen prior to preparation, can it be placed in a smoker of any type of manufacture, or homemade smoker and left there to thaw out, and smoked at the same time? I understand the relative "IT" cook temperatures, but for the long haul.

Example:

Let say I have a 2.5-3.5 pound venison roasts or beef that I want to make as a pot roast, conventional way, (I would first, sear/brown all side of the meat in a cast Iron Pot then while in place, add water half way up and boil, boil to a simmer, and cover, whether this is Venison or Beef.)  I then would add the vegetables, and other condiments that are desired, and cook until done.

Can I take this out of the freezer, place it in the a smoker of my choice and smoke until the desired temperature with smoke chips applied, then move the meat to the cast iron pot and do the searing and browning prior to the traditional methods of boiling and then simmering water, and achieve the same results, with having the smoke flavoring achievement?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Arcs_n_Sparks

PHF,

I suspect any heat source can be used to defrost (my wife uses the countertop all the time). However, I think you would want it substantially defrosted before putting smoke to it (no data, just opinion). Also, a big ice cube in the smoker will complicate temperature management a bit unless you have a closed-loop controller.

Arcs_n_Sparks

iceman

Bad voo doo on placing frozen meat in the smoker. Remains in the danger zone to long if it's of a decent size. Fridge for awhile like over night is a better idea IMO. Just my 2 cents from a food safe class we take each year.
Reason being the frozen inside of the meat keeps the outside cool to long in the "BAD" zone. If it's thawed it can heat up quik enough to be safe. Like Arcs says a big ice cube will mess up the smoking times too.

Gizmo

Thawing may produce a lot of liquid that you really don't want dripping down into your water bowl and possibly causing a mess. The slower thaw process in a fridge is my preferred method as well.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

QuoteBad voo doo

I'm most definately with Iceman on this!!  :)
Manxman

hotrod

Good day all...

Just a few questions about thawing a large chunk of deer meant for jerky,  Can I partially thaw it break off enough pieces to make a batch of jerky then re freeze it ...I have about 30 lbs of deer all in a bag but to make and cure it would take forever... wonder how I can do it in stages ...I am going to check out C tire today for more racks first time 4 racks was nice but as Mr Walleye had shown for jerky 12 racks are the way to go...im thinkin 8-10 lbs should be possilble... Looking for some thoughts and ideas.  anyone seen posts on salami? Thanks
ROD  ;D

Artmiester

Hey hotrod,
Why not take your favorite meat saw and cut off whatever portion you need from that deercicle and proceed. Thawing meat in any smoker sounds risky and i would think all the smoke benefit would run off to the mess that's going to pool in the bottom IMHO. I'd sooner nuke it on defrost setting, like frozen poultry and go for it.
The Artmiester

"BBQs not the only pleasure in this world but it's way ahead of whatever's in second place."

hotrod

I have taken the meat out of the freezer once i can break off a few chunks i will toss it back into the freezer till next smoke... its just for jerky anyhow...i guess i could take my sawzall with my brisket blade and start cuttin but they are all small scraps so it should thaw nicely just being out of the freezer.. I do that with my big racks of ribs i buy in bulk and dont seem to have a problem... any other ideas on deer jerky please advise thanks

hotrod

Mr Walleye

HotRod

When I do my jerky I only apply the smoke in the BS, Then I transfer it to me Cabelas Commercial Dehydrator. I usually only apply 1 hour & 20 minutes of Hickory smoke for my taste. When using 12 racks in the 4 rack unit it is fairly crowded so if you plan to finish it in the BS it will definitely add to your time and you will want to keep the vent pretty much open to get rid of the moisture. Before I had the dehydrator I did the whole process in the BS. I usually did 8 racks (4 inverted) at a time.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

hotrod

ya mike i seen your pictures which were great idea with the wood and all... I am in Canada i dont have a Cabelas here ... whats the advantages of the dehydrater vs the bds?  I used mesquite smoke and with my revised recipe turned out quite tender and tastey the next batch i want to make spicey I found all the info you sent me . and i finally figured out the pictures ... I have been lookin online for another smoker for at the cabin and I think I found a good deal on one. Bradley stainless one.. just a thought many hunters on this site?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 19, 2008, 08:24:46 AM
HotRod

When I do my jerky I only apply the smoke in the BS, Then I transfer it to me Cabelas Commercial Dehydrator. I usually only apply 1 hour & 20 minutes of Hickory smoke for my taste. When using 12 racks in the 4 rack unit it is fairly crowded so if you plan to finish it in the BS it will definitely add to your time and you will want to keep the vent pretty much open to get rid of the moisture. Before I had the dehydrator I did the whole process in the BS. I usually did 8 racks (4 inverted) at a time.

Mike

ya

with mike on this one too. best way to do jerky

BS Jerky

Then into big *C* dehydrator  ;D

nepas

La Quinta

Nepa...you are a flashy guy!!!:) Good looking stuff!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on March 21, 2008, 06:49:22 PM
Nepa...you are a flashy guy!!!:) Good looking stuff!

TY LQ...................Kinda sounds James Bondish  huh  ;D

Will have smoker cam going soon as weather gets better.

nepas