• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ground Jerky question?

Started by nodak, March 21, 2008, 12:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nodak

I was wondering if it was necessary to cook ground jerky or if I could just use the dehydrater??  Something tells me I need to cook it, but I'm using cure so maybe dehydration is enough?

Thanks,
nodak

Tiny Tim

What kind of dehydrator?  The Cabela's unit adds heat, which in effect cooks the meat.  So does the round "Gardenmaster" style one I have.  The curing part of the seasoning (most commercial Jerky seasoning kits include cure that you either mix into the ingredients, or is already in there) of the meat will pretty much protect you, though.

Ontrack

Before I bought the DBS, I did all my jerky in a Gardenmaster dehydrator with ground meat. No cooking is necessary as long as it's cured, like TT said. Now I smoke it at low heat and finish it in the dehydrator after the smoke is done.

hotrod

well heres smoke for thought.

..smokin in a wind chill of -10C you should keep the damper closed a bit to hold some of the heat in as the bottom cooks great and the top looks like it came out of the fridge... im still smokin just takin out that which is done.. taste great .... and with the ground chilies peppers it has a good zing to it!!!  couple more hours and ready for batch three!!  Too all those having a cold one CHEERS ... to mexico!!  oh ya and to more smokin :):):)

La Quinta

Ok...I must confess...I don't have a dehydrator...but we want one...what should we get oh learned friends o' mine?

Gizmo

I would get the Cabela's model 80 liter Comercial unit.  There are some reservations I have about changing from what I have.
I have one of the Nessco American Harvest round models with 12 racks. 

Pros
Top mounted fan and heating element - liquid does not drip onto fan and heating element
Fan moves air for more even drying

Cons
Round shape is a pain to load efficiently

What I would like to know is what the Cabela's owners have to say about their unit?  I am wondering if they have a good circulation system as I would think that would be a problem with a square unit.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Dude Gizman...it's just me and Bob and the pups!!! Does that change your opinion about what we should purchase?

Gizmo

Yah,
You might want to get the 160 Liter.   ::)
I forgot you had little ones running around.

If your not into doing large quantities than get one of the American Harvest Snack Masters.  They will do a nice job for yah.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Hey Giz & LQ

The Cabelas 80L unit works really well. I have had a couple of the round style dehydrators before and they don't even compare. As far as circulation goes these units have a ton of it. much more circulation then the round style.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

OK guys...I'll get on the internet and check them all out! Thanks! Not so sure we need to go comercial here but...who knows! :)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on March 22, 2008, 03:55:09 PM
OK guys...I'll get on the internet and check them all out! Thanks! Not so sure we need to go comercial here but...who knows! :)

LQ

Just go with the 80L Cabelas  ;D  ya want my discount   :D  :D

nepas

huhwhatliar

Quote from: La Quinta on March 22, 2008, 03:55:09 PM

LQ, I looked at several models and narrowed it down to two. NePa has owned both and I took his advice and bought the Calela's 80L. I have been very pleased with it, my only regret is I wish I would have bought it sooner.

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

La Quinta

Thanks huhwhatliar...and NePa...you betcha dude!!! Got my husband's daughter and son-in-law coming from England at the beginning of June and he LOVES jerky...don't know how to make it...(never have) like eatin it tho! So...I'm thinkin I need to be dehydrator girl! :) Gotta figure it out first!

Ontrack

Nothin' to it, LQ. The dehydrating is the easiest part. Load it, turn it on, and walk away... :)

La Quinta

Yeah...OnTrack...I'm ok with that part...it's what to marinate in...ya know...all that stuff....and would love to do some chicken for the pups too. And what cuts are better? Gonna need you guys/gals to help me out here!! :)