• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First smoke with pics!

Started by mcanik, March 26, 2008, 06:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcanik

So I didn't have any luck with finding the tenderquick before I could try the smoker so here is what I did:
I used Wild West brand Pepper jerky Cure and Seasoning as per package directions on my test 2 lb chunk of pig loin plus I added an additional 2 tbsp brown sugar.
Rubbed the mixture all over and in the crevasses.
Placed meat in a zip loc bag and removed most of the air.
Tossed and turned for 4 days in a fridge.
Removed and rinsed good and then soaked for 1 hr in ice cold water.
Patted dry then placed in fridge for 6 hrs.
Warmed smoker to 190
Slathered meat with maple syrup
Oiled a rack and placed meat on rack and then in smoker.
Smoked for 3 hrs with apple biskits
Cooked 1 further hr until internal temp is 150F
About ready to remove it soon.
I am gonna give it 1 more coat of Maple syrup then roll it in cornmeal to finish it off
Let it stand for a few days in fridge
Then eat.
I am gonna cook it further with breakfast just in case I messed up a bit until I get used to the smoker.

Any tips? Did I mess up?
Posting pics of this as well prolly later tonite!!

Gizmo

Don't know but anxious to find out what your real test is.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

mcanik

Here's the pics of the first smoke!!
Canadian Bacon!

After the soak!

After the smoke!!

More pics after the 2 day rest!
Smells good. I almost had to cut it early!

Habanero Smoker

Let us know how it turns out. I've never cooked the bacon first, before making it into Peameal. I'll have to try that next time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoked

mcanik-- pics look GREAT!!!  Let us know how it turns out.  Hope to try a similar recipe soon myself...

Ed

mcanik

This smoking thing is all new to me so the cornmeal is trial and error. I cooked it as I see it. When I see the store bought stuff, it seems to me that the cormeal is put on it after the cook. but I am not sure. I put the cormeal on and wrapped the loin in foil. I am going to let it set for a few days then try it. If it does not work, then try something different next time.

Tiny Tim

That's the spirit, mc....experiments pay off big sometimes.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: mcanik on March 27, 2008, 08:41:57 AM
This smoking thing is all new to me so the cornmeal is trial and error. I cooked it as I see it. When I see the store bought stuff, it seems to me that the cormeal is put on it after the cook. but I am not sure. I put the cormeal on and wrapped the loin in foil. I am going to let it set for a few days then try it. If it does not work, then try something different next time.

Whether or not it works, let us know.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

mcanik

What I believe I am looking for is a pre-cooked bacon regarding this. I believe that I have made a ready-to-eat version. Not that this one will be bad, but I an looking to create a cured, cold smoked, bacon that I need to slice and cook for breakfast. The internal temperature definitely will not make the required 150F but the cure should kill any bugs. I will be slicing this and cooking it further when needed to be consumed, freezing portions that are not going to be consumed quickly.
I am going to try another maybe next week.

mcanik

I just bought a full loin on special. According to the way it is, Peameal bacon (sic) is not smoked or cooked. It is simply cured and then rolled in cornmeal. (Originally got the name peameal apparently back in the old days, bacon was rolled in cracked yellow peas).
Since I have the smoker, I am going to fancy this one a bit and "kiss" the pig lightly with smoke for about 1 hour cold; Only after I roll it in cornmeal. This will probably suit my needs. All I am waiting on now is the Prauge powder#1.

PS: I cut the above hot smoked version early and it tastes simply AMAZING! I am definitly gonna do this one again.

Mc.

Habanero Smoker

There are many versions of Canadian bacon. Depending on the source; the sources I've seen stated Peameal is generally not smoke or cooked before hand (as is any Canadian bacon), and the peameal referred to the size of the grain the corn was ground; very coarse. Then it is sliced, sometimes coated again with course ground cornmeal and fried. The standard smoked cooked Canadian bacon, seems to be mostly an American thing.  But it is all bacon, no matter how you cook it. :)

If you are using commercial pork process in the States, an internal temperature of 140° is safe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.