• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First brisket in the smoker!

Started by DrunkenMick, March 29, 2008, 08:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrunkenMick

Well i took the plunge a bought a 7 lb flat at Wegmans last night.  It went in the smoker at about 8:30am this morning.  I'll post update pictures as the process occurs.  Used a mustard slather and Iceman's rub and put in fridge overnight.  Cooking at approx ~205 until IT reaches 190.

Here's the meat going in the smoker this morning

DrunkenMick

This is taking longer then i expected.  Its 10 hours into the cook now.  IT is 166 where it's been for about the past 2.5-3 hours.  I don't think its ever going to finish cooking :)

Wildcat

Have patience.  It is in the stall stage.  Mine take around 12 to 14 hours.  If you have time after the cook, you may want to consider and FTC for 2 or 3 more hours.  Well worth it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

DrunkenMick

Yeah, i plan on doing an FTC for 2 hours after i pull it.  Then i'll slice. 

obviously I'll have to put it in the refer for the night.  Should i wait until its cooled down a lot?  I plan on eating for lunch tomorrow (Breakfast too :) ).

And whats the best way to reheat? 

pensrock

QuoteHave patience.  It is in the stall stage.

Or as we like to think of it....... the ice cold beverage stage! Gives you plenty of time to enjoy a few cold ones.  ;D ;D

DrunkenMick

Welp just pulled it.  Hit 184 internal (I couldn't wait for that last degree).  FTC'n as i type this.  Total cook time approx 15 hours.  Hope it tastes as good as it looks/smells. 

Proof that brisket bandit hasn't struck yet:

PS:  I'm rewarding myself a nice frosty barley pop while waiting around for the critter to finish FTC'n.

Mr Walleye

Looks great Mick!  8)

I think I can smell it!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

Very kool Irish man!! Ya done us proud!!!:)

DrunkenMick

Lol, thanks!  I'm not making any judgements until i taste it.  I got another hour and 10 minutes to wait before i'm taking it out of the cooler and slicing it up.  After all this it *better* taste good.  :)

DrunkenMick

I really gotta learn to time these things better :)

Its 2:00am and i just finished slicing the brisket.  I can say the wait was WELL worth it.  This baby is juicy, tender and full of flavor.  I just got done organizing into containers.  Here's after the first few slices.  You can't really tell too much in the pictures but these were just pouring moisture out when i was cutting it.  I tried taking a picture but it refused to come out.

and

Thanks for all the input and knowledge to all the people on this forum.  This wouldn't have turned out so well if it weren't for your insight.  I'll make sure to eat some with a beer tomorrow for you :)

Eo0014

That brisket is a beauty!

I think the rule of thumb for brisket is 2 hours per pound.  For a six pound piece, how much actual smoke should I use?  For 12 hours in the BS, I can't imagine doing 12 hours worth of pucks!

DrunkenMick

Eo0014:  I wouldn't do more then 3.5-4 hours of smoke.  If you keep giving it smoke past 4 hours it'll be inedible.  The veterans here can explain more in detail but the meat will only take smoke up to a certain amount. 

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

yul

It's more than good, it's bloody fantastic  ;D  ;D
Nice one DrunkenMick  ;)
Brian. Montreal.

iceman

4 hours of smoke would be plenty.