Can I Freeze?

Started by SEE ELK, March 30, 2008, 11:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEE ELK

My wife and I bought the six rack digital yesterday from Cabela's, it was the only one the outfitter raved about. Yesterday we did thirty pounds of Polish Sausage, I love Jalapenos so one cup per five pounds of meat was added. They turned out a little hot for even my taste. This morning I was up early reading this forum and came across a post about smoking cheese, as luck would have it there was an unopened five pound block of Monterey Jack and half a loaf of Cheddar. What else was there to do but fire up the Bradley, it has snowed for the last two days and outside chores can wait. Now on to the point of this post. I finished smoking the cheese and vacuum packed it after it cooled. Can I Freeze my smoked cheese in a day or two or will that ruin the ageing of the cheese?
Most of my question have been answered browsing the forum, this is one I have not seen addressed. Advice is appreciated. Thanks, Tom aka SEE ELK

pensrock

tom, from my personal experience freezing cheese makes it kind of dry out. I'm not sure if that's the proper way to describe it but it seems to be drier and crumbly. I cannot say this is true for all cheeses but I would avoid freezing any of my own. I would cut it into smaller pieces and vac seal them seperatly that way you only have to open one smaller package as you need it. Also allow it to age for two to seven days.... it only gets better.
pensrock

Consiglieri

Welcome, SE.  To smoke cheese, you'll want to use a coldsmoke set up.  Here's a link showing how to do the set up.  A search on this site should yield some good ideas for your project.

http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm

Good luck!
Consiglieri

SEE ELK

All I had to do was go to the next page in this area of the forum, I found my answer about freezing cheese. My reason for wanting to freeze is during hunting season, how handy it would be to have several small portions of smoked cheese to put on my pack. Thanks for the help. Tom aka SEE ELK

Smoking Duck

The pros have already answered your question better than I ever could, but, welcome to the forum Elk.  You will not regret your dive into the Bradley swimming pool.  If you ever have any questions, the guys and gals here will be more than willing to help with any that you might have.

Welcome again.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

Welcome Elk...nice to have ya with us!! Ah...smoked cheese....:) (Don't you dare Duckman)...Let us know how it came out Tom?

Smoking Duck

I wouldn't dare....however, perhaps you ought to think about moving to just a little cooler climate......it's worth it  :D

Ontrack

I offered to sell her a nice home in Virginia, but she didn't bite.

Smoking Duck

Oh, I'll bet she can bite......I just wouldn't want to be the one being bitten  :D

If she can hang with the guys on this board, she can hang with anyone.  Personally, I think the added estrogen is good for us.   ;D

Tiny Tim

Quote from: Ontrack on April 27, 2008, 04:58:21 PM
I offered to sell her a nice home in Virginia, but she didn't bite.

I tried to get her into one in Iowa too, but somebody from Florida (at least that's what their license plates said) got it instead.

La Quinta

You guys are a trip...very fun...sometimes all of you need to be spanked (now don't go crazy on me) you know what I mean...we wiley women need to have our way with you boys...just to keep you in line!! This is a foodie place...after all...RIGHT? Seriously...I do enjoy the amount of knowledge you guys have and can make me a better cook... and.... have a little fun at the same time!!  :)