Contest From Iceman and Olds

Started by Oldman, April 02, 2008, 04:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Wow!! That is a unique grill. My brother does a lot of indoor construction. He could take that into the building without any suspicion, find a vacant room and have an indoor BBQ. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

flipperz71

1. it is an optical illusion
2. yes & no. I would assume it is up the the chef since the leaves are not harmful to humans, but they are poisonous to dogs and cats.
3. Bradley Technologies Canada for both.
4. no question 4
5. Yes. The juice from unripe pineapples can act as a violent purgative. Reported adverse effects from bromelain include diarrhea, menorrhagia, nausea, skin rash, and vomiting.
6. 304

flipperz71

Confused on the recipe site...

Is it the susanminor site or the recipe site on bradley.  the question did not specify...

wow...  i am putting way too much time into this contest...  what the hell is happening to me..  ;D

flip

Oldman

Dang good answers so far... will announce the winner the first of next month.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

Quote from: Consiglieri on April 03, 2008, 06:20:46 PM
Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on April 02, 2008, 08:16:41 PM
Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on March 19, 2008, 08:48:31 PM

Quote from: La Quinta on March 19, 2008, 08:17:35 PM
Arcs...dude...are you a NASA guy or what?

Close in what you say...
Four letters lead the way...
Change one and you are done...
Which one is the fun...   :D

Burma Shave...

Okay.  Started looking at this one, Sparky.  Need help from the peanut gallery though.  Don't know about Nasa, but science posts, Livermore connection, lead me towards the Lawrence Livermore Labs.

Close in what you say: could mean something LQ said (like NASA) or something you say re close in

Four letters: Must relate to Burma Shave or the phrase is out of place. Note that you can spell MASA from this phrase and that changing the M to an N will give you NASA.  Four letter words I've come up with out of the phrase
Have (as in we're "closing in" and the letters are consecutive in the phrase)
Bash
Mash
Rash
Ream
Mare (could be Army)
Hear
Beam
Rube
Sear
Same
Sure
Bear
Bare
Vera

I'm a little stuck.  Any thoughts?
What does this have to do with this contest??? Did I miss something? Please don't Jack this thread. Please go back and edit out this stuff (several here have replied to it -- edit out your replys as well) and start a new thread concerning it.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Consiglieri

Sorry Olds.  Meant no disrespect; just responding to correspondence along the way. 
Followup:  have removed the posts in question. 
Consiglieri

Wildcat

1. Why does the Moon look larger when rising or setting then it does when over head?

Optics/light refraction and the curvature of the earth.

2. Are tomatoe leaves ever added to a salad? If your answer is yes or no explain your answer.

No.  They are toxic and often treated with insecticides.

3. Two part question: Who owns the recipes on the recipe site? Who owns the recipe site?

Everyone.  Credit is provided for the writer of each recipe.  I think that from a contractual standpoint, Raye and Susan own it, but they are providing it for our use.

5. Is an un-ripe pineapple toxic? If your answer is yes or no explain your answer.

Yes.  It can cause throat irritation and can act as a drastic purgative.

6. Pick a number between 1 and 1000. (the closest to the number wins this answer.)

Five.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Oldman

Quote from: flipperz71 on April 04, 2008, 07:51:18 AM
Confused on the recipe site...

Is it the susanminor site or the recipe site on bradley.  the question did not specify...

wow...  i am putting way too much time into this contest...  what the hell is happening to me..  ;D

flip
My bad... as I only consider the susan site the recipe site.

HCT

Okay, so I did some homework :P :D

1. Size constancy is happening all the time. If you look down the street and see a sports car about 50 feet away, and behind it, about 100 feet away is a big SUV, you know that the SUV is bigger, even though it produces a smaller image on your eye.

One theory about the moon illusion says that when the moon is near the horizon we perceive it to be farther away from us than when it is high in the sky. But since the moon is actually the same size, our minds make it look bigger when it is near the horizon to compensate for the increased distance.

One way that you can trick your mind out of the moon illusion is to bend over at the waist and look at the moon upside down through your legs.

An alternative explanation holds that the moon illusion is caused by the way our eyes focus on distant and close objects. When we focus on the horizon moon, we focus on the moon at a great distance. The overhead moon lacks visual cues that tell us how far away the moon is, so we focus on the moon as if it was a short distance away.

So, for now, the right answer is that there is no right answer. But the one thing people agree on is that the moon does not physically change its size or distance from Earth as it moves across the sky. It's all in our heads

2.No, but,  as to those who thought the leaves poisonous, according to McGee, tomato leaves have long been considered potentially toxic because of the alkaloid tomatine. But recent research shows that that tomatine binds to cholesterol molecules in our digestive system, so we absorb neither the alkaloid nor the cholesterol. In fact, ingesting the leaves reduces cholesterol!

3. The recipes belong to no-one. They are shared amongst all.
4.The site is registered to Susan Minor

5.Yes. The juice from unripe pineapples can act as a violent purgative. Bromelain ingestion has been associated with a low incidence of adverse effects. These include diarrhea, menorrhagia, nausea, skin rash, and vomiting. Angular stomatitis can result from eating large amounts of the fruit. Large quantities of the juice have been reported to cause uterine contractions

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Smoking Duck

1. Why does the Moon look larger when rising or setting then it does when over head?
The reason why is an optical illusion.  I could go into all the reasons why it's an optical illusion but then I would come off looking like a NASA nerd  :D

2. Are tomatoe leaves ever added to a salad? If your answer is yes or no explain your answer.
I suppose the true answer is that someone, somewhere has added tomato leaves to a salad.  I wouldn't do it, but then again, I wouldn't stick my tongue on a frozen flagpole but we know somewhere down the line someone has done that as well.  You just can't stop stupid sometimes  ;D

3. Two part question: Who owns the recipes on the recipe site? Who owns the recipe site?
The recipes on the recipe are public domain, unless copyrighted by the owner.  I believe Susan and Raye own the recipe site but since they're married, that really means Susan owns it  ;)

5. Is an un-ripe pineapple toxic? If your answer is yes or no explain your answer.
I don't believe it will kill you but I do believe it will give you a bad case of the hershey squirts, which in my book, makes it toxic  :o

6. Pick a number between 1 and 1000. (the closest to the number wins this answer.)

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

flipperz71

1. it is an optical illusion
2. yes & no. I would assume it is up the the chef since the leaves are not harmful to humans, but they are poisonous to dogs and cats.
3.  Raye Minor, Minor Commercial Carpet Maint. Inc., 5010 4th Street South, St. Petersburg, Florida, 33705 owns the site and the recipes are owned by no-one unless it specifys that it is copywrited by the recipe submitter.
4. no question 4
5. Yes. The juice from unripe pineapples can act as a violent purgative. Reported adverse effects from bromelain include diarrhea, menorrhagia, nausea, skin rash, and vomiting.
6. 304

Flipperz71

Habanero Smoker

Smoking Duck;

I think you should win soley on your anwers. ;D Forget about the number.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 15, 2008, 01:04:26 PM
Smoking Duck;

Good to see he still has the great sense of humor. :D

hillbillysmoker

1. Optical illusion.
2. No, although the leaves are not actually poisonous to humans.
3. The person to whom credit is given......Susan.
5. Yes, digestive reactions will occur.
6. 33
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Quote from: iceman on April 15, 2008, 01:52:28 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 15, 2008, 01:04:26 PM
Smoking Duck;

Good to see he still has the great sense of humor. :D

Sometimes, you just gotta laugh at the stuff life throws you.  Believe me, it ain't pretty watching my 240 pounds of molten lust crying ;D.  On a side note, Pat, I've been watching a lot of Deadliest Catch since I'm not working......I might need you to hook me up to work on a crab boat.  It looks tough, but, it might just be what I need.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra