Smoked then Big Easy "Fried" Turkey!

Started by Big Cat, April 05, 2008, 08:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Cat

Being one for simplicity, I purchased the Bradley about a month ago and just got the Charbroil Big Easy Deep Fryer (local Lowe's had it for $129+tax).  I have heard everybody brag about deep fried turkeys but didn't want the mess or the extra calories.  I also read many testimonials and everybody raved about the Big Easy.  I have to say, the turkey I just completely with a combination of the Bradley and Big Easy was absolutely fantastic (I'll describe in detail below).  I wish I would have taken pictures, but here's what I did:

Brined the 12 lb. Turkey for 34 hours - (2 gallons of water, 2 cups table salt, 2 cups white sugar, 3 oranges, 3 lemons and lots of fresh thyme and rosemary).  I use a 5 gallon orange round Gatorade cooler.
Put in the frige to dry for 7 hours.  Once I pulled from the fridge, I rubbed with a Olive Oil infused with basil and garlic which I got from the local farmer's market.
Put turkey in smoker breast side up on level 3 (counting from the bottom up)
Cold smoked (disconnected the oven power from the smoke unit) for 3 hours with a combination of alder (only because I haven't used it yet) and pecan.  I live in Northern CA, and with the temp off, it still got to around 100 F even though it was heated purely from the smoke unit.
Once the 3 hours hit, I moved to the Char Broil Big Easy (breast side up) and cooked to an IT of 165 and removed.
The results were by far the best turkey that we've ever eaten and afterwards took the carcass and immediately started to make a soup with it. 

2 weeks ago I did a smoke only Turkey and it was very tender and smoky.  The "Smofried" turkey was less smoky, but much juicier, which I thought would be impossible because the smoked turkey was the best ever!  Also, since the Big Easy has a removable drip pan, we took the drippings and made gravy with it, which was very smoky and perfectly salted.  The turkey was phenomenal and since the legs and back were facing down during the smoking process, they had more smoke flavor than the breast.  I have to say, my favorite part was the skin which was extremely crispy and had great flavor.  The smoked only turkey had rubbery skin.  MMMMMMMM, I can't want to do another.

Favorite Turkeys:
1) Smo-Fried
2) Smoked
98) oven baked

I haven't tried a non smoked, fried turkey yet though. . . 

gscheig

Your turkey sounds good...

Easiest / best fried turkey recipe I know (pre-smoker) is to get a turkey, rub liberally outside and in with either Tony Chacheries or Zatarain's creole seasoning.  Coat heavily, let sit for 30 minutes, then fry in peanut oil.

turns out fantastic!

(just make sure you pour the liquid out of the cavity before puttin it in the oil and forming a steam geyser... don't ask me how I know)

Habanero Smoker

This sounds :) good. Another project on my To Do list.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tturaider

I had tought about this a while back but never got up the nerve to try it.  Im glad someone else has already proved that it can be done and that it tastes great.  Ever since i cooked my family a fried turkey they wont have it any other way...but maybe this will be a nice change for them???
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

FLBentRider

My Family was hooked on the Deep Fried Turkey. Then we went on a diet / lifestyle change, deep fryer is with the mothball fleet. The Honey-Brined Hickory smoked Turkey is the new favourite.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

West Coast Kansan

Smofried is a good way to go.   ;D

I like deep fried cuz it cuts down some on my fat intake the way the food absorbs less etc.   ???  Now that i come to think of it that is also why i am smoking cigars now  :-[ it was the healthy alternative  :-\

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

tturaider

I dont know if its true or not but I had a roomate that had a degree in nutrition that told me a fried turkey was healthy as long as you didnt eat the skin.  She said that the skin takes in all of the fat but wont let it into the meat. ???   Like I said I dont know if that is true or not but I like to think it is at least. ;D

Big Cat

I forgot the most important part.  The Char-Broil Big Easy is an oil-less fryer.  I was concerned how it would turn out and it was great without all the extra calories.  The smoked, crispy skin was the best.

FLBentRider

Uh, Oil less ? Isn't that like a motor-less NASCAR car ? I looked it up, looks cool. Kinda like an propane oven. I might have to get me one of those!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Scotty-G

Hey Big Cat,
I've been making smoked fried turkey and fried turkey for several years now, using peanut oil.  Won't ever go back to roasted   ;D

Saw the Big Easy Deep Fryer last turkey day and was thinking about "upgrading" to a oil less system.
Happy to hear someone has good results.

Have you done anything else other than Turkey?  Chicken or Duck?

In what part of Nor Cal are you?

Thanks
Scotty-G

Big Cat

I live in the beautiful "Produce Paradise" of Salinas, CA.  I haven't cooked anything else, but this weekend, we are going to do 2 whole chickens.  One smoked and one "oil-lessly fried".  I'm planning on brining both together in the same solution and then invite the family and friends over for the taste test.  I'll supply pics and results for this showdown!

iceman

Quote from: Big Cat on April 09, 2008, 01:02:29 PM
I live in the beautiful "Produce Paradise" of Salinas, CA.  I haven't cooked anything else, but this weekend, we are going to do 2 whole chickens.  One smoked and one "oil-lessly fried".  I'm planning on brining both together in the same solution and then invite the family and friends over for the taste test.  I'll supply pics and results for this showdown!

That would be great Big Cat. I've been thinking of picking one up to try but hadn't heard anyones thoughts on the Big Easy until just now. From what I understand I can order it through Home Depot or Lowes.

tturaider

Big Cat I guess I didnt know that this cooker didnt use oil.  Did the turkey not dry out cuz I hate dry turkey!!! >:(

Ontrack

I love fried turkey but I ditched my setup after pumping 4 gallons of peanut oil on my basement floor. I was recycling the oil with a pump made for that purpose (kinda resembles a pump that you would pump oil into a kerosene heater). I left it unattended for no more than 5 minutes, and when I returned, the end of the hose had blown off of the pump, and I had a HUGE MESS.  >:( I always seemed to mess up a concrete patio with the oil bubbling over anyway, so I threw everything away but the pot. The Big Easy sounds like something worth checking into, so please keep us posted with your progress. :)

La Quinta

That "fryer" is pretty cool...might have to purchase one of those babies!! Thanks for the post BigCat.