Spare Ribs vs. Baby Back Ribs

Started by weekendsmoker, April 06, 2008, 04:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekendsmoker

Hi all,

I just did spare ribs tonight, 8 hrs total, 4 hrs smoke with a dry rub and they were fantastic and fall off the bone.  The spare ribs seemed a bit better than the baby back ones I have done.  What is the big difference between these two cuts, and do most have a preference when picking between the two?

Thanks

Habanero Smoker

Baby backs come from the loin area of the pig. They are smaller, leaner and more expensive. They are well trimmed and other than seasonings, there is not much preparation needed. Being smaller they cook faster.

Spare ribs come from the belly area. They are much larger, fattier and less expensive. Spare ribs are sold in a variety of ways, depending on how much trimming the butcher does. I like the St. Louis style ribs, because they require less trimming and preparation.

I prefer the spare ribs. I like the texture (more chewy), and more meaty.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

weekendsmoker

Thanks Habanero, that's what I was looking for.

J.

jdallinger

What ingrediants or recipe did you have for the dry rub? I am thinking of doing some ribs this weekend and am looking for a good dry rub.  Did you have to use any liquid on them to keep them from drying out?  Thanks for the help.

jdallinger

Habanero Smoker

I don't do ribs often, but when I do I use one of three rubs. I'm sure others who smoke ribs more often will respond. Also I don't spritz, but many do. One is Iceman's Rub, the other two are:

Basic Beef Rub (works well with pork)
2 Tbsp. ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. paprika
2 tsp. of brown sugar
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. celery salt
1 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp. of onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. mustard powder

The Renowned Mr. Brown
1/4 cup Black Pepper, fresh cracked
1/4 cup Paprika
1 /4 cup Turbinado Sugar or Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Salt, Kosher
2 tsp. Mustard, dry
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
(Makes enough for one 6 - 8 lb. Boston Butt)

Also Mccormick makes a real good commercial pork rub, under it;s Grillmates brand.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Consiglieri

I like them both, but given a choice I'll grab the babybacks. 

As for rubs, it depends.  Sometimes I'll massage a little olive oil and (a lot of) crushed garlic into the meat and then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.  Makes a really good rib that can stand up without sauce/glaze.

Othertimes I'll mix up a mustard slather, smear it over the meat, and then sprinkle on a rub similar to those Habs posted.  There are two great smoking recipe books I have.  One is Smoke n Spice (which includes a Renowned Mr. Brown rub) and the other is Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ:

Consiglieri

La Quinta

Smoke and spice is a great book...got me interested in smoking right off!! Funny stuff in there as well...

Consigs...I like spare ribs...why babys?

Ontrack

Quote from: La Quinta on May 03, 2008, 01:29:46 PM

I like the babybacks much more than spares, but really don't know why. Unless it's because it gives me another reason to disagree with you, LQ. ;D

La Quinta

I would imagine so...Mr. Cranky Pants...if you bring up cold smoked cheese I will sign off and never come back...:)

Ontrack

Couldn't have that! My lips are sealed :-X

Smoking Duck

Did someone say cheese  ::)  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

SDuck...don't push it...I'm depressed about cold smoking cheese...very frustrating not to be able to make it in the nuclear weather environment I live in...but...on the bright side I did swim and suntan today!! Made ribs (SPARE RIBS!!) last night so...:)

Consiglieri

Quote from: La Quinta on May 03, 2008, 01:29:46 PM
Smoke and spice is a great book...got me interested in smoking right off!! Funny stuff in there as well...

I'm like ontrack: I just do.  Some of the preference is linked to ease: the membrane is easier to remove and you can save a couple of hours of cooking time.  Plus, I like the meat a bit better.  Believe me, I won't turn my back on any rib, especially those bones carved away from the prime rib.  That Kirk book has about 20 or so rib recipes, some that are pretty exotic (and some that I'll probably never try).  There is one in the book that I keep coming back to: a Mustard BBQ(which doesn't taste too mustardy)

3 slabs ribs, membrane removed
9 smashed cloves of garlic
2 T kosher salt
1T fresh ground pepper
2 cups apple juice
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup grainy mustard (like stone ground Sierra Nevada)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup molasses
2T dry mustard
1 T dark rum (I use Meyers and spill some into some Orange juice too)

Rub the garlic into both sides of the ribs and season with s & p and then place in your pit.

The rest of the ingredients are for the glaze.  Combine them in a medium sauce pan and simmer, stirring occassionally for 10 to 15 minutes.  Do not turn your back on the sauce because it is prone to foaming over.  About 60 minutes before the ribs are done brush some of the warm glaze onto both sides and repeat about 30 minutes later. 

Hey I read a bit about your cold smoke attempt.  Some thoughts: did you use the "offset" cardboard box method?  (see here  http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm ).  Also, you can put a high walled aluminum foil pan filled with ice at bottom rack level, with the cheese and stuff above it.
Consiglieri

La Quinta

The problem now Consigs...is even with an offset box...the temp in the tower is well above 80/90 just sitting there...many times goes to 150 just hangin' out. I guess I missed the window of time that would allow me the ability to do it. My own stupid fault...to hung up on cold smoked salmon I guess...made a lot of that!!...good news...there is always next year!! :) Or one of the lovely peeps here on the forum can sent me some freakin smoked cheese!!! :) (Just kiddin').

Ontrack

I have pepper jack, provolone, mozz, sharp cheddar, swiss, and colby jack. Take your pick, send me your address, and its yours. Now call me "Mr. Cranky Pants". :D