• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Basic Jerky Question

Started by Buck36, April 09, 2008, 04:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck36

If I use cure in my jerky will it be preserved with out any refrigeration?

My brother is in the Marine Corp and is looking for jerky. I realize the original reason for making jerky was meat preservation but I also want to be positive I am not doing anything to get him sick. I typically grind the venison with a recipe using cure and shoot strips of meat. It then gets smoked in the Bradley and then thrown in the dehydrator. I dehydrate it until it is pliable or that it will bend a bit but then break. I throw handfuls in the vacuum bags and freeze it. That way we have snack bags.

I realize this is all overkill but what is the best way to prepare/store jerky to ship to someone who is jamming it in a backpack?

Thanks for any input.

Ontrack

Buck, I do my jerky the same as you-smoker to dehydrator. But I have never had a Bradley-full last around here for more than a week. I do refrigerate it, but a guy I gave some of the last batch to brought some to work about 3 weeks later, never refrigerated, and it was still good. Hopefully this will help you some, without giving you a definate yes or no answer. Tell your brother thanks from the USA.

La Quinta

Something tells me you need to PM NaPa (NepaSmoker)...his son is in the military and I think I read posts? that he sent jerky overseas?

Buck36

Thanks for the input. I will PM NePa too.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Buck36 on April 10, 2008, 07:22:29 AM
Thanks for the input. I will PM NePa too.

Hey Buck

Your on the right track with the jerky. When all is smoked, dehydrated, leave sit at room temp for awhile then spray with potassium sorbate. this will keep the jerky longer in the vac bags. it wards off micro bugs that make you sick. After spraying and vac bags dont freeze it, that adds extra moisture you dont want.

Here is the link for the potassium sorbate.
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1772

Hope this helps you out.

nepas

Buck36

PERFECT! Thank you for the information and I will stay away from the freezer.